More On Cables

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

RalfRP
LCD?

Post by RalfRP »

I was reading the other "cable hookup" thread and thinking (ouch, that hurts!) that maybe a neat wiring job is simpler than I thought.

I'm going to buy the BVF2041-BK (Real Soon Now!); in its pictures I don't see a DB9 connector on the back, but I'm sort of assuming it comes with one: pictures of other models show a female (F) DB9.

So the MO connecting cable is a M<->F DB9 cable, and I think I have some old slot covers left over from my misspent AT case days that have a DB9 cutout. So I put the other end of the connecting cable in the slot cover, and use those old screw-in "standoffs" (the tall hex-shaped things), then I have a nice slot cover with a F connector on it. Since the ATX mobo has a M DB9, all I need is a short M<->F jumper and I'm all set. Yes? This sounds reasonable and neat, right?

The question is, what about the jumper cable? It'd need to be short; the cable MO sells in a 1' length would work, but is a little long and ribbony. I'm thinking shorter and rounder...

Does all (or any :grin:) of this make sense?

PS: sorry for all the disturbing s*x talk :wink:

linear
evil Dr. linear
evil Dr. linear

Post by linear »

Works for me. the cable's really not that long. And a lot of cases have knockouts where you can mount it without wasting a slot cover.

RalfRP
LCD?

Post by RalfRP »

Thanks linear... esp for draggin' out the camera for me... looks good.

Did you buy the bay kit? I wonder if it comes with the 1' or 4' cable (for the inside)...

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

any normal PC Bay insert comes with a 4ft, the -4BR comes with 1ft.
Henry J.
President
Matrix Orbital

RalfRP
LCD?

Post by RalfRP »

Thanks Henry! Do you recommed an additional 1' for an "outside jumper" or do you perhaps have even shorter cables?

Now I gotta order it :grin: and go find an old AT serial cover (or, as linear said, check my case for DB9-shaped knockouts - I forgot those even existed...)

Thanks to all...

linear
evil Dr. linear
evil Dr. linear

Post by linear »

heh, thanks for not asking why I have a paperclip jammed into my TV input on my vidcard....

it's a long story....

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

On 2001-12-17 07:56, linear wrote:
heh, thanks for not asking why I have a paperclip jammed into my TV input on my vidcard....

it's a long story....
ok, you have my attention now, why is there a paper clip jammed into the TV input?
Henry J.
President
Matrix Orbital

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

On 2001-12-16 20:43, RalfRP wrote:
Thanks Henry! Do you recommed an additional 1' for an "outside jumper" or do you perhaps have even shorter cables?
The shortest we have are 1 footers here. We use the 1ft jumper with the 4BR system close to what you are saying...
Henry J.
President
Matrix Orbital

linear
evil Dr. linear
evil Dr. linear

Post by linear »

On 2001-12-17 09:32, Henry wrote:
ok, you have my attention now, why is there a paper clip jammed into the TV input?
I don't have cable ~sniff~, and I'm too slack to buy a decent antenna, so it's my antenna. How ghetto is that?

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

.... let me put it this way.. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAH... :grin:

how well does it work though?
Henry J.
President
Matrix Orbital

linear
evil Dr. linear
evil Dr. linear

Post by linear »

It works about as well as you'd expect, but better than no paperclip.

Meanwhile, back on topic....

You can get IDC (insulation displacement connectors) D-sub connectors for ribbon cables here: [url=http://]9-pin plug[/url] 9-pin socket and roll your own. Want an IDC socket (to fit your mobo's pin headers)? they're here: 10-pin socket.

As far as ribbon cable, I can't help but imagine you could scrounge a used floppy cable or IDE cable for the project, but if you feel the need to spend, here's ribbon cable: right here.

None of that sex talk here....