Low to High power GPO mods... need help.

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

samw5
LCD Geek

Low to High power GPO mods... need help.

Post by samw5 »

Ok, here is the deal. I still have my awesome LK202-25 serial LCD and I'm in the process of modding a new case (Chieftec Matrix Full tower).

I've been thinking for a while to do this but the time has now come; I want to let the LCD control the neon lights in the rig through the GPOs. I've been looking at the low to high GPO mod but I'm not sure I wanna go that extreme.
I was thinking about using a relay that takes in the power from the GPO on one side and the 12V from the PSU on the other hand. Now, I simply have no clue on how to calculate the relay value (I'm not the best at this) so I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.
Next, I'd like to add a single press button connected to the keypad so that when pressed LCDC would send a signal to turn of both the LCD and GPO controlling the neon lights. Would this work? Do I just need a switch and connector for the LCD (I was thinking about using "F" as both pins are next to each other).

Finally, I was wondering if there were significant differences between the serial LCD models and the newer USB. Is there any conversion kit available?

Thanks for the help (Henry maybe...).

Cheers,
Sam

Aniso
-=Beloved by all=-
-=Beloved by all=-

Post by Aniso »

I didn't read all that, but I am afraid you cannot hook 12 volts to a low power GPO (even on the other side of the relay). This is safe with a high power GPO, but will BLOW UP the processor using a low power GPO.

Miles? Henry?

samw5
LCD Geek

Post by samw5 »

Are you serious. There aren't any relays that are supposed to only take very small voltage as signal to turn on some accessories? I was under the impression that the point of a relay was just that.

Sam

samw5
LCD Geek

Post by samw5 »

Hmmm, no response... No go on the relay or just no clue on how to do it?

Let me know I need to get those parts soon :(

Sam

Mat-Moo
LCD Guru

Post by Mat-Moo »

## # Mat # ##
LCDC - Drive it to the edge baby!
http://www.lcdc.cc
Matthew@DPS.uk.com
DPS Ltd. (Not MO!)

samw5
LCD Geek

Post by samw5 »

I have. I was just wondering if there was alternatives to this; I was thinking about using a relay to turn the neons on in my case instead of doing this mod but just can't figure out which relay I would need (read my first post).

Sam

Mat-Moo
LCD Guru

Post by Mat-Moo »

I'm not an electronics man - so I can't answer, but the bit article is pretty easy to be honest.
## # Mat # ##
LCDC - Drive it to the edge baby!
http://www.lcdc.cc
Matthew@DPS.uk.com
DPS Ltd. (Not MO!)

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

Yes, you can find relays that will do 5V input and do 12V and high current out. just remember that the GPOs on the LK202-25 are 5V and supply a maximum of 20mA. With these numbers you should be able to find what ever you need from Digikey or Jameco.

MILES! post the one you got!!!
Henry J.
President
Matrix Orbital

samw5
LCD Geek

Post by samw5 »

Excellent. Thanks Henry for your help.

Now just as your opinion, do you think this solution will work properly enough to turn on neons?

Also what are the differences with the newer USB model?

Finally, I really like the High Voltage mod, and was wondering how hard it would be to modify it so that the GPO outputs some 5V, 7V and 12V so that depending on the system temp you could apply a different voltage to fans. That'd be real nice. Anyways, wish Matrix Orbital would sell those boards as an option.

Thanks again,
Sam

Miles
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Miles »

A solid state relay that I can suggest is the Clare PD2401. It's a great little relay and should do the trick!!
Miles Y.
Head of Technical Support
Product Manager
Matrix Orbital

samw5
LCD Geek

Post by samw5 »

Thanks Miles. Will look into that. Do you happen to know where I could possibly find it?

Also, I might be selling my LK202-24 and get an LK204-25PC Limited edition instead which I believe wouldn't require me to use a relay, but I was wondering if this model will ever be available in blue color (blue background, white text) and with USB interface.

Thanks again for the suggestions,
Sam

Miles
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Miles »

Miles Y.
Product Manager
Matrix Orbital

Miles
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Miles »

our plan in the neart future is to develop a 4x20 USB that will have all the toys such as high powered GPO's, multiple color displays, temp sensors, etc.
Miles Y.
Product Manager
Matrix Orbital

samw5
LCD Geek

Post by samw5 »

Ah, what's the "near future" like? Mid-summer, Fall 2003, or early 2004.

Cheers,
Sam

Miles
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Miles »

you can't hold me to this, but mid-summer/fall 2003 would be a fair time frame....!!
Miles Y.
Product Manager
Matrix Orbital