EVE3 Flash Compatibility

FTDI/Bridgetek EVE2 & EVE3 & EVE4 SPI TFT Series by Matrix Orbital

Moderator: Mods

amaul
LCD Geek

EVE3 Flash Compatibility

Post by amaul »

Hey Support,

Do we know what flash is compatible or not with the EVE3 BT81x chips? I'm struggling to get images up and running from flash and I found trying to initialize the flash (via Rudolph's init_flash, checks to make sure the flash is attached then commands flashfast) that my flash had no header (Error 0xE002) since it was blank which makes sense. So I found the blob file in the install directory, opened in HxD and copied the data as C into an array in my application. Then I erased the flash (flasherase) then wrote the blob array to flash. Disabled flash in my application and rebooted to find a new error 1 (Error 0xE001) flash not supported. The chip I'm using is the same from the Bridgtek application circuits, W25Q128JVSIQ, which was surprising non the less to receive an error on it.

Thanks,

Alex

Raquel
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Re: EVE3 Flash Compatibility

Post by Raquel »

Hi Alex,

Thank you for posting on the forum.

Matrix Orbital EVE3 series use the W25Q128JVSIM flash.
Together with our USB bridge EVE2-USB2SPI-KIT-A, and EVE's Asset Builder you can easily detect, erase and program the flash.

Best Regards,
Raquel
Raquel Malinis
Design and Development
Matrix Orbital

amaul
LCD Geek

Post by amaul »

Found my issue, mixed my returns of the init function. So it should be compatible and looks like it's entering full speed

Question still stands, is there a list of compatible flash?

Thanks,

Alex

Rudolph
LCD Guru

Post by Rudolph »

I started one here:
http://www.brtcommunity.com/index.php?t ... 318#msg318

I am limited to SOIC-8 chips though that are available thru distributors like Digi-Key.

rascalito
LCD Geek

Post by rascalito »

Hello Raquel!

Raquel wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 1:55 pm
Matrix Orbital EVE3 series use the W25Q128JVSIM flash.
I have (among others) a 5 inch display which uses a W25Q32 flash (with BT815, which is EVE3, I think).
At this point, I have one question: is the BLOB different for a W25Q32 and W25Q128? I would guess it's the
same because it's possible to read the size of the memory from the W25Q commands, but just to be sure.
If it's not the same, where can I download a BLOB fitting the memory I will solder?

What I'm thinking right now is to upgrade the memory of the screen I have. It's a 25Q32, and I have a few
25Q256. Not the same format (WSON instead of SOP), but as the pitch is the same, I suppose it can be done
without any problem. If it's the same BLOB, I will just copy the first block of the flash before soldering it.

Raquel wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 1:55 pm
Together with our USB bridge EVE2-USB2SPI-KIT-A, and EVE's Asset Builder you can easily detect, erase and
program the flash.
Do you mean, the Asset Builder can directly write all my buttons, images, icons, etc for me?
For instance if I buy the USB bridge, then I can dump all resources directly from the asset builder?

Best regards,