Furbox

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

whookey
LCD!

Post by whookey »

A GLK 12232-SM complements furbox very well. The pictures don't do this beauty justice:

http://www.geocities.com/hbarover2/fur/

Thlayli
LCD Geek

Post by Thlayli »

Looks neat, but does it not get quite warm? I mean usually electrical things are cooled and not given toasty warm and comfy coats, right? :grin:

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA...... that's great... :grin:
Henry J.
President
Matrix Orbital

CrOaKeR
LCD?

Post by CrOaKeR »

Ha ha, just like my pussy, ooher matron!

whookey
LCD!

Post by whookey »

I went to special lengths to make sure it doesn't get too warm. The orb CPU fan sticks right out into the air, and pulls room air right onto the CPU. The power supply fan ejects air right out of the box, it ends up running runs fairly cool, since there's a well defined airflow over the important parts in the case.

Thlayli
LCD Geek

Post by Thlayli »

Ok, thats cool then. My question is the combination of file server and firewall. Usually these two are not combined because of the chance that subversion of a file server (something that is quite possible due to the nature of file servers, any type of open connection to the outside is generally viewed as a vulnerability) will allow control over the firewall. A good friend of mine is leading a seminar tommorrow at UW-Madison on similar issues, "Network Intrusion Detection", and I believe he will go over further theory behind how exactly such things are dangerous, I can not claim to be a master in this area though. Anyways, generally file servers are outside the firewall, and not part of the firewall system, for safety concerns. But the LCD and fuzziness works =) Even if it would get warm you could snuggle or something... erm... well... at least if you are in a country without technophile laws. :wink:

whookey
LCD!

Post by whookey »

Furbox has two NICs, one connected to the big bad internet, one connected to the home network. (lots of scary dremeling was required for #2!) All the internal services such as file sharing attach to the internal interface only. Traffic is blocked at the external interface with a deny-by-default policy. So it really doesn't matter to me whether there's a seperate firewall box, or the internal servers and firewall are molded into one logical (and furry) unit.

Thlayli
LCD Geek

Post by Thlayli »

Ahh ok then, sounds good, for some reason that setup didn't occur to me... been in college too long, miss the non-theoretical efficient solution :grin:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Thlayli on 2002-03-14 17:15 ]</font>

jodynicH
Case Guy
Case Guy

Post by jodynicH »

interesting to say the least