LK162-12 acting up can i reset it? ~TX/RX labeled backwards!

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

ghost2501
LCD Guru

LK162-12 acting up can i reset it? ~TX/RX labeled backwards!

Post by ghost2501 »

IF YOU HAVE A LK162-12 (Rev 2.2) AND FOUND YOUR WAY HERE STOP AND DOWNLOAD A NEW MANUAL EDIT: THE MANUAL FOR LK-162-12 (Rev 2.2) WAS INCORRECT THE TX/RX PINS ON THE ALTERNATE SERIAL HEADER WERE BACKWARDS IN THE MANUAL. (RX/SCL) (TX/SDA) IS CORRECT. THEY WERE AWARE OF THIS BACK IN 2005 BUT NEVER CHANGED ALL THE MANUALS BUT I ASSUME IF YOU ARE READING THIS THEY WILL HAVE FIXED IT BY NOW. I AM NOT AWARE OF THIS TILL LATER ON IN THIS THREAD.

I had a brand new lk162-12 and was trying to get it to work with my arduino. The manual was a little unclear in some spots and i am not sure how it ended up like this but it seems to only print garbled text after the startup.

I cannot get it to connect via uproject.
It seems to connect to LCDC but its again garbled text etc.

I basically switched the jumpers to ttl and the R jumpers to try and use the 4 pin header with arduino i got something that worked adn it was just my arduino code as to why it had numbers before and after the text hello world. Then bam it just went garbled on day trying arduino.

I have since put the displays jumpers back to new, the jumpers are set for RS232 and the R jumpers and I jumpers are unsoldered.

So now I am back to I cannot connect to uproject and if i could i would probably need to reset the factory defaults and i think i need a file for that and help it its at all possible.
Last edited by ghost2501 on Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:13 am, edited 8 times in total.

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Re: LK162-12 acting up can i reset it?

Post by Clark »

Hello Ghost,

To temporarily restore your LK162-12 to default settings, please follow the manual override procedure in your manual. This will allow you to communicate to the unit and save important settings, such as baud rate, to known good values.

Thanks,
Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital

ghost2501
LCD Guru

Post by ghost2501 »

I did use the jumper on the gpo's to try and put it in default mode. That didnt do anything different i get a character like a paragpah indent symbol that has a mini 4 on it. and that is about all the text it shows right now the same character over and over.

I was thinking more along the lines of this post tlking about factory reset and a memory file if not i am afraid i give up on this display. I have owned over 20 matrix orbital displays and now that i finally can do something other than using lcdc (arduino) i cant get it to work and may have ruined one display maybe another.

http://www.lcdforums.com/forums/viewtop ... f=1&t=5362

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clark »

Hi Ghost,

I appreciate you trying the manual override procedure. Unfortunately, if communication to the unit is not reliable a setting upload, like the one linked, is not possible. But I'm not ready to give up on that unit yet.

Please use a multimeter to check your protocol select jumpers to ensure all three RS232 pads are connected and and both I2C as well as both TTL jumpers are disconnected. When in override mode, please be sure to communicate to the unit at 19200 baud.

Thanks,
Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital

ghost2501
LCD Guru

Post by ghost2501 »

i have an lk162-12 rev 2.220.

Part of my problem is the manual is a little unclear about all the jumpers. on page 13 under alternate serial connection it says two jumpers will have to be soldered and two removed It dosent tell which ones just has a picture of the r jumpers soldered Am i supposed t remove those jumpers or solder them and if so what are the other two jumpers and do I solder or remove them?

then on page 14 it says LCD2041 can use TTL and shows the 4 jumpers so I am not sure if that is a typo from pasting together this manual from another one etc since this is a LK162-12 manual so then i started questioning it all.

I would love to see a picture with all the jumpers clearly marked and a procedure of what ones need to be and not be open to use each mode as the manual is very unclear compared to say my lk202-25 manuals. 1. jumpers needed for rs232 via DB connector 2. jumpers for ttl comunication via serial using alternate header. 3 i2C ( do i need ttl jumpers on or off etc.) Please list the jumpers i need open and closed would be a great help.

and you are right another part of the problem is the jumpers, I will never know if i did something wrong, the display is broken, or i just messed up on the soldering job. I would love to have a display with jumpers on actual headers like my older lcd4040 models.

I dont see 3 rs232 jumpers like you explain.

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clark »

Hi Ghost,

The older revision changes things a little bit, I appreciate that piece of information. The instructions to change protocols will be on pages 13, 14, and 15 of your manual.

For RS232 protocol via the brown 4pin header, please ensure the two jumpers labelled 'R' are connected and the two jumpers labelled 'I' are disconnected. Also, using the image on page 14, please ensure connections 1 and 4 are made while 2 and 3 are open. I recommend using a multimeter to check because small solder bridges can be difficult to see with the naked eye.

I understand changing resistors or solder bridges is more difficult than jumpers, but with the addition of hardware flow control and RS422 to our protocol select block, there is just no room to offer a large 0.100" pitch header on all products. To ease this difficulty, we offer custom units for larger volume customers, and our DIP switch enabled, all-in-one DevDevil for development applications.

Thanks,
Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital

ghost2501
LCD Guru

Post by ghost2501 »

well the scary thing is my next display I am going to try has jumpers half the size of this one.

so on page 13 when its talking about 4 jumpers can you confirm it means to solder the R jumpers and Unsolder the I jumpers. I was just confused as its not clear and my display came new with the I2c jumpers opens so that sounds confusing to me either way.

So it sounds like i ruined this display somehow soldering and unsoldering it back and forth trying to get it to talk to arduino and back to rs232 to try and get u project working. It just stinks as i have had several mx displays 4-5 several lcd4040 like 10 and several other misc units and now that i am going to actually use the one i want which i was saving factory new got messed up. I think i wil hit it with a baseball bat.

so i guess i will probably go buy some regular display to use with my arduino which makes me sick basically after collecting MO displays all this time.

ghost2501
LCD Guru

Post by ghost2501 »

so i have a new LK202-25-v rev 3 i believe should i go through with soldering the jumpers on it or just sell it off while its new.

Just to confirm i have checked all my solder connections with a MM and its all in order so i have no idea.

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clark »

Hi Ghost,

That is correct, to use RS232 communication levels on the 4pin header, connect the two 'R' jumpers and ensure the two 'I' jumpers are open. You'll also need to pay attention to page 14 to ensure you are at RS232 serial levels, rather than TTL. What program are you using to send information to the display, and are you able to provide an image of the unknown character or locate it in the character set?

We have made improvements to this feature, as you can see the new LK162-12 Rev3.0 released in 2006, and the LK202-25 Rev3.0 have a much more straight forward protocol block. Given the popularity of the Arduino platform, we've even created our own appnote. We are always listening to feedback and appreciate the insight a long time customer like yourself is able to provide.

Thanks again,
Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital

ghost2501
LCD Guru

Post by ghost2501 »

I am going to take a video of the display and put it on youtube so we can see if it can get fixed.

Is there a manual for using uproject?

I just tried unsoldering the rs232 jumpers on my lk202-25 and forget it i just dont see how you want us to remove the 0 ohm jumpers.

So other than the devdevil do you sell any newer displays at all with jumpers or a different way to go between ttl i2c and rs232?

Is there some kind of rs232 -ttl and or i2c conversion device you would recommend? all though i would love the devdevil i can see paying that much when i have so many displays already just for a dip switch, believe me noone is more dissapointed than me I probably typed Matrix Orbital in youtube and ebay more than anyone on earth over the years.

Other than that i will try to use one of the lcd4041 with i2c as i dont believe it is capable of ttl serial communication.
Last edited by ghost2501 on Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

ghost2501
LCD Guru

Post by ghost2501 »

I assume you dont have to have the 0 ohm jumpers if i wanted to go back to rs232 on the lk202-25 solder would be enough? If so i may just cut the jumpers off with cutters? other than that getting out a larger soldering iron an djust getting it real hot to remove it may cause damage since its so small.

I have been waiting 10 years almost to do something other than LCDC more or less "collecting" or "hoarding" Matrix Orbital Displays and now that i have arduino its down to these little jumpers half the size of the ones on my lk162-12 I actually feel some kind of emotion here I am not sure what. All the time and effort searching and messing with LCDC only able to have 1 display hooked up at a time etc. and now i have spent the last 6 months messing with arduino just so i could play with my displays. I am about to give up on all of it and resign.

ghost2501
LCD Guru

Post by ghost2501 »

http://www.lcdforums.com/forums/viewtop ... 756#p24756

OK i found this post here and it shows how you guys made another mistake on your manual, you know mixing up the TX/RX pins on the alternate serial header!!!!!!! I have confirmed that what you say is TX on the db9 connector is not connected to what you say is TX on the alternate header its connected to RX like he explains above.

So thanks jon for changing the r3 manual it will be a great help to me if i buy a new display since the r2.22 version i have is bricked (probably due to trying to hook it up wrong per your data sheet about 200 times over a few months) and ill need a new one.

Like I said I have found at least one typo in the manual (refer to my post above) and one section where it says 4 jumpers need to be changed that is not clear at all and even though i asked about it its still not exactly clear to me. Also i believe it says its set up for i2c by default and that is where you get the 2 soldered the R's and 2 removed the I's Well that is not the case at all my display came new from you guys with the i2c jumpers open so more confusion. My i2c jumpers are clean and never ever been soldered from you guys or me so there is another mistake in the R2.22 manual page 15.

So finding another mistake in the manual after all I have been through makes me want to talk to one of you managers etc I dont deserve what I have been through trying to teach myself how to say hello world for 6 months off and on, when I felt brave, and to find out it may or may not be due to a mistake in the manual one of many i found and it was known to you and pointed out by another concerned customer thank god for the mexican guy who can hardly speak english posting.

So yeah at this point forgive me if I am upset and to be honest THIS HAS RUINED MY ARDUINO EXPERINCE and i have been collecting MO displays for years waiting for something better than LCDC to come out...Thanks (can i get an emoticon here)
Last edited by ghost2501 on Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

ghost2501
LCD Guru

Post by ghost2501 »

So my next immediate questions and concerns.

1. So what is TX and what is RX? I assume since the display hooks up via the db-9 connector fine (or used to before it was bricked) that the pin 2 on it is TX like the manual states and the pinout on the brown alternate serial header is in fact backasswards. SO what is TX and what is RX on both connectors so there is no further confusion. ( not that it will do me any good anymore)

2. I would like the typo changed on page 12 it says "the LCD2041 is set at 19.2....." This is a manual for a LK162-12 not a LCD2041 I could care less what a LCD2041 is set at.

3. I would like the typo changed on page 12 it says "the LK404-55 uses a standard phillips adr......." This is a manual for a LK162-12 not a LK404-55 I could care less what a LK404-55 uses.

4. I would like the typo changed on page 14 it says "the LCD2041 can be talked to at TTL ...." This is a manual for a LK162-12 not a LCD2041 I could care less what a LCD2041 can be talked to at.

5. I would like page 15 to be changed. It says "The I2c setting is default...." My display came new from you guys ready to plug into LCDC via the DB9 header and the I2c pads were not soldered and have never seen solder yet. which brings me to my next concern.

6. I would like page 13 to be cleared up. What we have here is basically a one sentence description of how to put this display into alternate serial mode."two jumpers will have to be soldered and two will have to be removed." There is a picture of the alternate header with a red box around the R jumpers. It does not say remove the jumpers in the red box it does not say solder the jumpers in the red box. it does not say hey these I jumpers over here (not in a red box) have to be unsoldered and count as 2 of the 4 jumpers and it does not say hey these I jumpers over here (not in a red box) have to be soldered and count as 2 of the 4 jumpers. So you see it can be very confusing for someone trying to use arduino etc with TTL or I2c as the manual simply falls short or as in my next concern is backasswards.

7. I would like either page 13 changed where it says pin 2 on the db9 is TX or i would like page 14 changed where it shows the alternate header with its pin 2 as TX one has to be wrong and i am still not sure which one.

8. I would like page 11 changed where it says pin 2 is TX as and pin 3 is RX again its backasswards.

9. explain why .7 & .8 above were changed in the r3.0 manual and not in any earlier manuals? here i am at 3:46 AM tonight due to this and i was up dozens of other nights mostly thinking my arduino code must be wrong but it cant work if the manual has the pins labeled backasswards.

10. I would like all manuals to say RX/SCL TX/SDA at all times when showing the brown header so there is no confusion like i encountered.

11. I would like all pictures of jumpers etc. with red boxes to be accompanied by a simple statement " this is the correct jumper configuration for XXX mode". Or maybe for more complex ones solder the jumpers in the red box etc. and have a blue box for ones to be removed and explain that. Its got to be better than saying 2 have to be removed and 2 soldered then only put a box around 2 and never say what 4 changes have to be made do you remove or keep the ones in the red box and where are the other 2 jumpers they are talking about to make 4.

12. So now what? did having the rx/tx backwards countless times finally brick my display? did it fry my TX/RX lines on my arduino as well? Do I play stupid and keep using the arduino I have now to try and say hello world again on a new display? what if it dosent work and I spend 6 more months and its just the arduino TX/RX lines fried because of the mistake. Good thing I found that nice guys post searching your forums late at night for a fix to my problem (god knows i did the same on the arduino forums first since a new factory set display cant be the cause it must be my newbie arduino code right) . I only had to read a few hundred threads on a few dozen different subjects/keywords. At least i know i am not insane or a complete idiot like i thought all this time the pins were labeled backwards. I will just have to start from scratch I guess find a new display I can use with arduino, and get a new arduino because like i said maybe the TX?RX lines are fried on it and after spending all that time and effort looking back I cant afford to mess around anymore with assumptions.

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Re: LK162-12 acting up can i reset it? ~TX/RX labeled backwa

Post by Clark »

Hi Ghost,

I understand your current project is a frustrating one, and I will continue to work with you to logically and methodically diagnose and remedy the issues you are experiencing. However, please keep your posts short and accurate to ensure we move forward on a clear path.

First, regarding the pinout of your display. I have confirmed using a similar unit here that the Alternate Serial Connection table on page 14 of the LK162-12 Rev2.20 manual is incorrect. The correct pinout is described below.

DB9 - 4pin - LCD - Host - I2C
--2-----3------Tx----Rx----SDA
--3-----2------Rx----Tx----SCL

Second, the jumpers required for each protocol, using the 4pin header only, as illustrated on pages 13 and 14 or your manual should be populated as follows. Jumpers not labelled should be disconnected.

RS232 - TTL - I2C
-RR14--RR23---II-(14 or 23 doesn't matter)

Third, there is no manual for uProject so I'll go over the basic steps here. Please setup your display in RS232 mode as shown above, manually select the correct port and speed in uProject under the COM Setup tab, click on the Main tab, click the "backlight on for.." check box 3 times (setting it on, off, then on again), and respond with an image of any characters that appear on the screen.

Thanks,
Troy
Last edited by Clark on Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Table Formatting
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital

ghost2501
LCD Guru

Re: LK162-12 acting up can i reset it? ~TX/RX labeled backwards!

Post by ghost2501 »

Hello I am going to make an attempt to use this display again. I was wondering if the manual has been updated? Or is it still being downloaded from your website with incorrect information?