Linux support?

GX and Typhoon hardware, this includes, displays, cables and accessory cards.

Moderator: Mods

niknak
LCD?

Looking for an update

Post by niknak »

Any update at all? Linux software in beta that I could try? Anything? .... Pretty Please!

Ray
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Ray »

The linux plans haven't moved in quite a while, last time i checked in on it there where still issues with picking a license for the protocol used.

niknak
LCD?

Post by niknak »

Almost 16 months ago:
Henry wrote:Yes, Jamie (engineering department) has stated that the new firmware will be released this week which will allow development for linux drivers etc...
I bought the Typhoon GX based partly on the excellent track record Matrix have with Linux support and also after reading the promising posts in this very thread.

I have a headless Linux server for which I planned to use the Typhoon to report system status messages instead of a monitor. When I purchased it, all indications, especially posts by Matrix employees themselves, seemed to indicate that Linux support was just round the corner.

Are Linux drivers coming? Or should I try and recoup some of my wasted $115 dollars for this hardware on eBay?

Paradigm
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Paradigm »

It's been a very long road. We've first been trying to resolve how to release the specs. Several things inside the company have changed how closed we want the specification to be. In the end we have decided to provide it as a free for all specification. The document will be rough, but I will post a link to it by the end of the month. The main thing I have to do is go back though the code and make sure that I have a lot of the response codes correct. Once this is done I will release it.
James McTavish, P.Eng
Director of Engineering
Matrix Orbital

niknak
LCD?

Post by niknak »

Thank you.

diglam
LCD?

Post by diglam »

is there any news about linux support.

niknak
LCD?

Post by niknak »

Paradigm wrote:The document will be rough, but I will post a link to it by the end of the month.
What month? What year?

I give up. Let's see if I can get some money back for this thing from eBay. I'm going for a picoLCD from mini-box.com instead. At least when they say it has Linux support they actually mean it.

diglam
LCD?

GX driver for lcd4linux project

Post by diglam »

I finished writing GX driver for lcd4linux project ( http://ssl.bulix.org/projects/lcd4linux/ ), at the moment not perfect but good enough.

Before submitting the driver to lcd4linux, I want to know that, will be there any legal issue for that driver, because some license issue was mentioned at previous posts.

Ray
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Ray »

We where looking into finding a proper license for the protocol that would allow both commercial and free/opensource use of the protocol but in the end it was just not worth the hassle. Due to other projects the public GX documentation is a tad behind schedule. By the sounds of it you reverse engineerd the protocol already, pretty impressive job.

If you want to release go nuts, if you want to improve it a bit and have some specific questions I can also look if I can dig up any answers for you.

starlon
LCD?

Post by starlon »

Any word on the documentation?

softkey
LCD?

Post by softkey »

Did you ever released the documentation? I would love to increase lcd4linux driver functionnality but without this documentation it will be hard.

Thanks

blowback
LCD?

Post by blowback »

I've been waiting for 4 years for a linux driver!! It would be nice for my typhoon to say something other than "GX" before the system I installed it in in 2008 is entirely obsolete :(

Ray
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Ray »

While we decided not to offer a linux driver our selves, the lcd4linux one mentioned above here should have no isses.

blowback
LCD?

Post by blowback »

I understand from the above that the lcd4linux driver is quite limited....is the documentation available? I don't mind addind the necessary code.

Ray
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Ray »

I have no docs available, but if there are specific questions about functionality, feel free to send me a PM and i'll be more than happy to help out. I have to admit at the usb level there's not much to it, put frame, set backlight color etc, pretty basic stuff. and by the looks of it the lcd4linux driver already has it.