Error or Descrepancy in the MOP-GL240128 Datasheet

Support for MOC/MOS/MOI/MOU/X-Board/MOP

Moderator: Mods

misterhemi
LCD?

Error or Descrepancy in the MOP-GL240128 Datasheet

Post by misterhemi »

Hello,

I hope i'm not posting something that has already been answered... I haven't found the answer on the forum so i'm making this post....

There seems to be some errors and missing information in the datasheet for the MOP-GL240128 series.

It has the following pinout listed for CN1:

1 LEDK -Cathode for backlight
2 LEDA -Anode for backlight
3 VSS - Ground
4 VDD - Supply voltage for LCD(+)
5 V0 - Supply voltage for LCD(-)
6 C/D - Data write/read
7 /RD - Read Data from T6963C
9~16 DB0 - DB7 - Data Bus
17 /CE - CHIP Enable For T6963
18 /RST - Reset
19 VEE - Negative Voltage Output
20 MD2 - Pins for selection of number of columns
21 FS - Pins for selection of font
22 NC - NO CONNECT
23 LEDA - Anode for backlight
24 LEDK - Cathode for backlight

Ok.... the first thing I noticed from looking at the Toshiba T6963C Datasheet is that the "C/D" pin should be labelled "Control/Data" NOT "Data Write/Read" as above.

There should also be a /WR (Write) enable for the T6963C but it is not listed in the MOP Datasheet, which pin on the connector is it?

Also, there is shown only one (1) pin for MD2 and one pin for FS on the MOP's connector but on the T6963C Datasheet it shows 2 pins (for each signal) are used to set these modes. If only one of each of these signals is present on the MOP's connector which ones of the pairs? (E.g.- FS1 or FS2, MD0 or MD1 or MD2 or MD3)

Also, are the LEDA (connector pins 2 and 23) and the LEDK (connector pins 1 and 24) tied together to their, are they redundant is my question... can I use just pins 1 and 2 or do I need to use all four pins on the connector (1, 2, 23 and 24) to power the backlighting???

Also, is a resistor required to be used in series with the LED's for the backlight or can they can use the full 3.3 volts? (If a resistor is required, what value?)

Last question... I noticed on the image of the MOP on your website it shows a module with a 20 pin connector (not 24 or 15 as shown on the datasheet) has this been changed since the MOP's Datasheet was created? If so, what is the pinout?

I hope my questions are understandable and thanks in advance!

-Mark

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clark »

Hi Mark,

No worries, it looks like these are all questions that other users may have; I'll do my best to go down the list.

First, it is important to note that a T6963C, or similar controller is embedded into the display that we receive from our supplier primarily for use in our intelligent line. Our large purchase quantities allow us to sell smaller quantities of our parallel displays to customer who normally would not be able to purchase in the quantities our suppliers require. Long story short, we have translated information from a supplier who has borrowed some information from the Toshiba controller, so I hope you can understand some information is not quite aligning as it should.

With regard to the pinout, your are correct; C/D should be labeled as a command/data line.

While /RD is available, you have noted that /WR is not, I believe this is because the functionality of writing to the controller has not been made available for this display. This may limit some customization, but does not affect basic functionality.

For the MD and FS control lines, I have to admit that little information is available. I can tell you that we tie both low in our design; I believe this sets the screen to 32 rows with an 8x8 font. Unfortunately, we use the unit in graphic mode, so I can't provide much more insight here.

With respect to backlight, yes the A and K lines are tied together, by all means you can leave two disconnected. The resistor however, is required. You'll note current specs next to the input voltage you have specified, this is the important number. The display will always drop the voltage specified, the current is what will drive the brightness of the unit; and can burn it out. If you do connect directly to voltage, use at least a 0 ohm resistor so you can easily monitor current to the backlight; remember to keep that value under the specified maximum to ensure the life specified.

Finally, on the site, you are correct, an older display has been used; our current models have two connectors of 24 and 15 inputs as listed in the manual. I will ask marketing to put up the newer image.

I hope that was everything, if anything has been left out, please don't hesitate to throw up another post.

Thanks,
~Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital

misterhemi
LCD?

Post by misterhemi »

What ohm rating resistor for the backlight???

I don't think you meant zero (no resistance) unless.... you meant that the voltage should not exceed what is specified... but if it is, a resistor could be use to drop some of the voltage.

I need to look at the T6963C datasheet again but i'm assuming without access to the /WR line graphics can still be displayed, is that correct?

I can always read the datasheet if you don't have an immediate answer.

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clark »

Hi Mark,

My apologies for the confusion, the backlight resistor is variable, it controls brightness; as I mentioned as long as the current through the backlight remains under the spec given it will last for the life specified.

The backlight resistors are actually populated on the back of the display; you'll see a bunch of pads in parallel at the bottom left corner near the 15 pin header. Again, this resistance is variable so you should always measure the voltage across it, divide by the total measured resistance and alter one or both to keep the current through the backlight circuit within the specified maximum. If you are looking for some guidance, I can tell you that our engineering specs for the intelligent line state 5x4.7ohms (parallel) for YG and 3x7.5ohms for the other colors.

As for the /WR line, that is for writing into controller memory; primarily to create custom characters. I believe the font is set, but the functionality of the unit without this line should not be dramatically impacted.

Unfortunately for your situation, we are in the business of intelligent displays, so the datasheets will be your best friend here, but we'll help where we can.

~Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clark »

Hi Mark,

I must retract my previous statement regarding the /WR line. Studying our intelligent PCB design and speaking to our firmware designer, it is indeed necessary for all write functions, and is pin 8 of the display. This is something that was lost in translation, again my apologies.

~Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital

misterhemi
LCD?

Post by misterhemi »

Ok, thanks for your help.....

I made some corrections to the datasheet. I'm posting them below for future reference in the event someone else needs this information.

The CORRECT pin-out for the MOP-GL240128 SERIES is as follows:

PIN CONNECTIONS (CN1)
PIN SYMBOL DESCRIPTION

1 LEDK Cathode for backlight
2 LEDA Anode for backlight
3 VSS Ground
4 VDD Supply voltage for LCD(+)
5 V0 Supply voltage for LCD(-)
6 C/D Command/Data
7 /RD Read Data from T6963C
8 /WR Write Data to T6963C
9-16 DB0-DB7 Data Bus
17 /CE Chip Enable for T6963C
18 /RST Reset
19 VEE Negative Voltage Output
20 MD2 Pin for selecting number of columns (MD1=LOW)
21 FS Pin for selection of fonts (All other FSx=LOW)
22 NC No Connection
23 LEDA Anode for backlight (Redundant, also tied to pin 2)
24 LEDK Cathode for backlight (Redundant, also tied to pin 1)

NOTE: Pins MD2 and FS should be set Low on the Matrix Orbital Intelligent Series.

PIN CONNECTIONS (CN2)
PIN SYMBOL DESCRIPTION

1 FRM Frame signal
2 CP Shift clock pulse for column driver
3 LP Latch pulse and Shift clock pulse
4 M AC Signal for LCD Driver
5 VDD Supply voltage for LCD(+)
6 VSS Ground
7 VEE Negative Voltage Output
8-11 D1-D3 Display Data Input
12 V0 Supply voltage for LCD(-)
13 /DISPOFF H:ON, L:OFF
14 LEDA Anode for backlight
15 LEDK Cathode for backlight
Last edited by misterhemi on Wed May 12, 2010 6:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clark »

Thanks for putting that up Mark.

I can confirm it is correct, but would ask that MD2 and FS pin descriptions be edited to read something like (set Low on the Matrix Orbital Intelligent Series). I did make an educated guess using the information provided and I'd rather publish only the extent of what I know. Other than that, everything is good, thanks again.

~Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital

grconsulenze
LCD?

Post by grconsulenze »

Hello all,

I am valuating your intelligent display GL240128WB.

However I have some doubt how to connect CN2 signal, I did read the posts (in particular Mark' s one) but I did not find any suggestion about electrical connection of Frame Signal, Shift Clock Pulse and so on.

Is it possible to have some document explaing in detail how use and connect such signal on CN2 connector?

Thanks in advance.
Giorgio

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clark »

Hi Giorgio,

The GL240128 offers a large through-hole soldering area so a wire or pin connection to the display is easy. Your connection scheme will depend on your application, but it will probably involve soldering to the display.

If you have any specific questions regarding headers or soldering, please don't hesitate to post.

Thanks,
~Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital

grconsulenze
LCD?

evaluation board for GL240128

Post by grconsulenze »

Troy,
thanks a lot for your prompt replay.

I have another question for you:

Can you indicate me if you have available an evaluation board for GL240128?

Seems to me that the DevDevil series are not suitable for GL240128.
If I am correct could me indicate which board have I to buy (If any)?

Thanks in advance.
Giorgio

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clark »

No worries Giorgio,

Unfortunately, a handy development board like the DevDevil is not available for the GL240128, or any of the other graphics displays.

If you are unsure about communicating to a parallel display, especially a graphic unit, I'd recommend a model with a simple communication scheme, such as the GLK or GLT 240128. This will give you an opportunity to see how we control the display, and I think you'll find the features we put into the board (fonts, bitmaps, keypad/touchpad, etc.) and the ease of communication really outweigh the added cost.

~Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital