Problems with new GLK-12232-25-SM

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

a.brooks
LCD!

Problems with new GLK-12232-25-SM

Post by a.brooks »

Hi,

we've worked with the GLK-12232-25-SM a great deal in the past. We recently ordered a new batch, and are having problems uploading bitmaps to them.

I'm using MogdSharp version 1.0.33.
The PCB revision is 2.0.

If I click on "Auto detect display" it tells me there are 6 displays found: 5 on COM3 and one on COM1 (the display is on COM1).
The entry for COM1 reads:
Port: COM1
Module: Not found
Version: xx.xx
Baudrate: 19200
The version number is different on different attempts, right now it's 15.13.
The LCD displays the text "Not Found Version xx.xx".

If I manually set the baud rate, port, module type and Pcb revision I can talk to the display.
Clearing the screen and setting text works just, fine, so I can obviously communicate with the thing.

Then I try to upload a bitmap. I set the input image to a .png which has been successfully uploaded to other GLK-12232-25-SMs. I leave the "Upload to slot" field at 1.
When I click "Upload" the cursor flicks over to the 'waiting' hourglass for about 0.1sec, then flicks back. Nothing else happens.

I've tried on two modules in this batch, with identical results.

Any ideas what might be wrong?

Thanks,

Alex

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clark »

Hi Alex,

Sounds like you are having some communication trouble with your new batch of GLK12232-25-SMs. If you could, please give the manual override a try; just power down, jump the middle pins of the keypad header, and power back up. When autodetecting, this should put you back to 19200 baud and provide an intelligent response from the display. Try those basic text commands again, then let me know if you are able to upload in this state.

Thanks,
~Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital

a.brooks
LCD!

Post by a.brooks »

Hello Troy,

Thanks for the reply.
I tried the manual override, same results:
- The module is not found in 'autodetect', but the baud rate is correctly detected on COM1.
- I can send text commands and they are interpreted correctly, but same thing when I try to upload an image.

I didn't expect a baudrate mismatch because the text commands work fine -- when the baud rate is incorrect usually the text comes out all garbled.

I also tried again with a module from a previous order, to which we have successfully uploaded an image. The 'autodetect' has the same results (module not found on COM1, but baud rate correctly set to 19200) so I suspect that there's something wrong with the Mogd# software in this regard rather than the module. I did not try again to upload an image to this known-good module as the read-only-mode jumper has been soldered.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Alex

Ray
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Ray »

Could be the filesystem is just full, have you tried wiping the filesystem using the file system tools? of since you probably want the same bitmaps fonts and settings in all unit you can now clone units using the filesystem upload/download tools.

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clark »

Hi Alex,

Another quick question as you are taking a look at the filesystem per Ray's comment, would your display be used in I2C at any time?

Thanks,
~Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital

a.brooks
LCD!

Post by a.brooks »

Hi Ray and Troy,

These are new units fresh out of the box, they still displayed the "Graphics in any direction" logo when I first powered them on. So I don't see how the filesystem can be full, but I can wipe it anyway just to be sure.
They have never been used in I2C.

Alex

a.brooks
LCD!

Post by a.brooks »

Hi Troy,

I managed to upload the bitmaps, by installing the Mogd# software on a different computer.
I think it's reasonable to rule out a COM-port problem, since I can send text OK.
So it looks like a software problem of some kind with Mogd#. I had already tried uninstalling and re-installing Mogd# on the computer that was having problems, so there must be some sort of information left behind.

So I have a workaround (using a different computer) but no way at the moment of uploading bitmaps with the computer I was hoping to use. Any ideas what the problem might be?

Thanks,

Alex

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clark »

Hi Alex,

Great to hear that you've been able to get your bitmaps uploaded to your GLK, albeit on a different computer. We've had no other complaints regarding this issue in MOGD#, and have not been able to reproduce. However, this is a relatively new build of the program and we will continue to look into the issue here.

For now, I would recommend deleting the entire MogdSharp folder from your program files within the MatrixOrbital folder, and reinstalling a freshly downloaded version. If you continue to have trouble with the uploader, please let us know.

Thanks,
~Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital

a.brooks
LCD!

Post by a.brooks »

Hi Troy,

When the new batch of LCDs arrived I tried uploading the bitmaps with the version of Mogd# that was already on the computer from the last time (I think it was 1.0.26)., with the results I posted. I deleted the entire Mogd# directory and installed the freshly-downloaded version 1.0.33, same results.

Does Mogd# perhaps make any modifications outside of that directory?
I also have the older Mogd installed on that computer, is there perhaps some interaction?

Thanks,

Alex

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clark »

Hi Alex,

Sorry to hear you've still had no luck with MOGD#, the new version really seems to be giving you some trouble. I can't confirm any of your results here, yet, but I will try to duplicate your process in the coming days.

As far as I know, MOGD# makes no modifications outside it's directory, but I'll have Ray confirm that for me; as the author he knows a little more than I. I can, however, confirm that MOGD# does not interact with MOGD at all.

I'll continue to update you as I have more info.

Thanks,
~Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital

Ray
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Ray »

it doesn't write outside its own directory and doesn't require registration of any of its components so interaction with other software is very unlikely. I tried replicating the problem but was also unsuccessfull, are you using the same image to upload on both stations? did wiping the filesystem help?