From PLED to MOP

Support for MOC/MOS/MOI/MOU/X-Board/MOP

Moderator: Mods

Kurt
LCD?

From PLED to MOP

Post by Kurt »

As PLEDs have gone by the wayside I am in the process of redesigning for an LCD. Specifically I am looking at either the MOP AL162A-BTTY (16x2) or the AL202-BFTW (20x2). So naturally I have some questions about this.

1. Is the S6A0069 truly software compatable with the HA44780? Truly?

2. The AL162A-BTTY lists 10ma current and 5ma for the backlight. Yet the AL202C-BFTW lists only 5ma current with the backlight current N/A. Why the difference? Does this mean that the display in the photo is shown with no backlight?

3. The manual for the AL202 does give no backlight as an option, but there is no part number breakdown given for correlation. Any info on the part numbering system?

Ray
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Re: From PLED to MOP

Post by Ray »

Kurt,
Kurt wrote:As PLEDs have gone by the wayside I am in the process of redesigning for an LCD. Specifically I am looking at either the MOP AL162A-BTTY (16x2) or the AL202-BFTW (20x2). So naturally I have some questions about this.
No worries, I'll try my best to answer any questions you might have.
1. Is the S6A0069 truly software compatable with the HA44780? Truly?
Truly :D

The PLEDs you where using also didn't really have a HD44780 since it's an LCD controller it was just compatible with it. The S6A0069 is a drop in replacement for the HD44780 so if you have code that now talks to the HD44780 it will work fine with the S6A0069.
2. The AL162A-BTTY lists 10ma current and 5ma for the backlight. Yet the AL202C-BFTW lists only 5ma current with the backlight current N/A. Why the difference? Does this mean that the display in the photo is shown with no backlight?
On the AL202C-BFTW you indeed caught a bug on our website there, I'll poke some people to get that fixed, the unit has a white backlight 60ma crurrent.

On the AL162A-BTTY you either made a typo or misread, the site lists the backlight current as 150ma.
3. The manual for the AL202 does give no backlight as an option, but there is no part number breakdown given for correlation. Any info on the part numbering system?
No problem here it is

Code: Select all

MOP-AL162A-BTTY
111-223334-5678

1 = Series 
2 = Type
    AL = AlphaNumeric lcd
    AV = Alphanumeric vfd
    GL = Graphical
3 = Size (Width*height)
4 = Model
5 = IC Package Type
    M = SMT Type
    B = COB Type
    T = TAB Type
    G = COG Type
    F = COF Type
6 LCD Mode
    P = TN Positive
    N = TN Negative
    Y = STN Positive, Yellow Green
    B = STN Negative, Blue
    G = STN Positive Gray
    W = FSTN Positive
    T = FSTN Negative
    F = FFSTN Negative
    S = Special
7 LCD Polarizer Type
    R = Reflective
    T = Transmissive
    F = Transflective
    S = Special
8 Backlight Color
    Y = Yellow-green
    B = Blue
    A = Amber
    W = White
    G = Green
    R = Red
    S = Special
    N = None
Also I notice you are going for high contrast modules to possible mimic the look of the PLEDs you where using previously. Have you concidered using a VFD? They offer superior brightness and viewing angle. I think you might like the MOP-AV202C-BNNN.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Kurt
LCD?

Post by Kurt »

Well, I have to say (as a senior EE/program manager) that you did just about the best job I have ever seen in answering questions promptly and clearly. Thank you so very much, I feel that I am finally getting a handle on displays in general. The P/N explanation is also truly helpful. The plot however thickens :-?

For the AL202C-BFTW:
1. The description block and P/N indicate FFSTN, spec says STN?
2. I have the viewing angle and CR specs. Brightness spec is?

For the AV202C-BNNN
1. Description block gives N/A for type, polarizer and background. Is this because its a VFD?
2. Field 7 in P/N is "N", does this mean none or N/A?
3. Spec does not provide viewing angle or CR. Does provide luminance though. What are complete specs pertaining to viewing, contrast and brightness for AL202C and AV202C such that I can compare?
4. Comments: Header description gives 20ma supply, background n/a. Spec gives PS 1&2 current of 132ma typ. Presume spec is correct. Current is high relative to AL202C.
5. Does a VFD display require an inverter?

And finally, my application is for an indoor peice of equipment, do not expect high ambient light conditions. Unit is battery operated, low current is key spec. Do want though a display that is relatively clear and sharp. I've hit the reading glasses stage...its now a design criteria :o
Thanks so very much for your help with all this.

Ray
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Ray »

For the AL202C-BFTW:
1. The description block and P/N indicate FFSTN, spec says STN?
The specsheet is a generic one for all 2x20's written before we had the fancier polarizers and indeed is in need of a little updating, conclusion Site+PN are right, specsheet is wrong.
2. I have the viewing angle and CR specs. Brightness spec is?
I Do not have any of those available to me right now, I'm gonna try to get them from the factory for you but no guarantees.
For the AV202C-BNNN
1. Description block gives N/A for type, polarizer and background. Is this because its a VFD?
Yes VFD's work similar to old crt televisions where the Phosphor lights up on the glass tube, so there is no need for polarizers and background lighting. The greenish color is the default but you can use filters to change their color.
2. Field 7 in P/N is "N", does this mean none or N/A?
As this is a VFD it does not have/need a polarizer, so None or N/A both work for me :)
3. Spec does not provide viewing angle or CR. Does provide luminance though. What are complete specs pertaining to viewing, contrast and brightness for AL202C and AV202C such that I can compare?
Again I have no numbers for you since the factory does not specify them to us, viewing angle on the VFD should be 40-45 degrees but I have no datasheet for you to back up that claim, gonna try to get 'm but this might take a little while or long.
4. Comments: Header description gives 20ma supply, background n/a. Spec gives PS 1&2 current of 132ma typ. Presume spec is correct. Current is high relative to AL202C.
I Wasn't aware of your power consumption requirements when suggesting a VFD they indeed use more power then regular LCD's.
5. Does a VFD display require an inverter?
Since VFD's are not like LCD's they don't need the invertor for contrast, they have extended the hd44780 command set slightly and allow you to set 4 brightness levels from software.
And finally, my application is for an indoor peice of equipment, do not expect high ambient light conditions. Unit is battery operated, low current is key spec. Do want though a display that is relatively clear and sharp. I've hit the reading glasses stage...its now a design criteria
Thanks so very much for your help with all this.
If power consumption is an issue I would definitly go for the MOP-AL202C-BFTW since of all of the units you are considering that one would use the least power.

Kurt
LCD?

Post by Kurt »

Thanks again Ray, you addressed all my issues and answered all my questions quite well. I appreciate the great support.
I'll go ahead with the AL202C.
Thanks again,
Kurt