Display broken? A way to fix it?

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

Lektor
LCD?

Display broken? A way to fix it?

Post by Lektor »

Hi there,
I have the display GLK12232-25SM and it shows only some kind of weird signs (see attachment).
When I change the "broken" display to one of the same kind, everything is fine. So there must be something wrong with the display itself.
Does anyone know what is wrong and whether it's fixable or not?

Here in Germany it's not really easy to find a vendor offering this display. Are there any models which can exchange the broken one? Newer model, easier to get?

Another question is that the other displays of the same model and even displays of other brands start showing vertikel and horizontal lines after a while. What causes this effekt and is this fixable as well?

Thank's for any answer.
Stephan
Attachments
display error
display error
display error.jpg (84.59 KiB) Viewed 5641 times

Raquel
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Raquel »

Hello Stephan,

Thanks for your post.

It looks like the memory on your display has gone bad. Have you tried wiping the memory and re-upload bitmaps/fonts?

Thanks,
Raquel Malinis
Design and Development
Matrix Orbital

Lektor
LCD?

Post by Lektor »

Hi,
the display is part of a laboratory equipment and shows the measurements and menu navigation. I have no information about how the display is driven.
I was searching your manual of that display (revision 3.0) and think that I found your advice on page 21 "Purge memory" and page 22 "Upload Font/Bitmap".
And that might be a problem because I don't have the files. But I still have two working displays. Is it possible to download the files of one display to upload it on the display with the purged memory? Making a 1:1 copy or something.

I was thinking that the display gets its entire information from some other microcontroller. But if some files are stored on the display I probably won't be able to get it to work even when I get a new display. Am I right?
Hopefully it will be possible to download the files, else I will have to contact the manufacturer and they will probably not give me that support. *keep fingers crossed*

Thank you
Stephan

Raquel
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Raquel »

Hello Stephan,

I am guessing that you have GLK12232-25-SM PCB Rev 1.4. This revision does not have the capability of being queried for its uploaded fonts and bitmaps, and hence you can not copy it.

The default settings on the GLK12232-25-SM PCB Rev 1.4 are:
1. Font 1 - Small Filled
2. Bitmap 1 - (as attached)

I can give you both these files, but then if there are other bitmaps/fonts then you will have to find them yourself (unfortunately).
Attachments
AnyDirection.jpg
AnyDirection.jpg (576 Bytes) Viewed 5587 times
Raquel Malinis
Design and Development
Matrix Orbital

Lektor
LCD?

Post by Lektor »

So is it true that the position of the displayed measurements which are displayed in zells and are arranged somewhere on the display are stored in files and uploaded to the display (see attachment)? Meaning that if I hook up a brand new display without any uploaded files the contend displayed will look different?

And it is not possible to "download" these files from a working display?

In my first post I asked if there is a compatible newer model which can exchange this one because this model isn't as easy to get. Is there?

Thank you and sorry for the bad picture quality. It is a part of a bigger picture.
Stephan
Attachments
display
display
display.jpg (82.8 KiB) Viewed 5584 times

Raquel
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Raquel »

Hello Stephan,

With the picture you had attached, it is possible that this may have been drawn by sending rectangular commands, but then most likely, this may have been a bitmap and some parts of being are being refreshed. It is hard to tell.

I am not sure if a brand new display with just the default files will work. The host may be drawing things on the fly, or even uploading bitmaps, or the users before may have pre-loaded the fonts/bitmaps before connecting the display to the system.

>And it is not possible to "download" these files from a working display?
No, unfortunately not on the old PCB Rev 1.4's.

>In my first post I asked if there is a compatible newer model which can exchange this one because this model isn't as easy to get. Is there?
I am going to ask my Sales Rep here to answer this question.

Thanks,
Raquel Malinis
Design and Development
Matrix Orbital

Clare
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clare »

Hi Stephan,

[Here in Germany it's not really easy to find a vendor offering this display. Are there any models which can exchange the broken one? Newer model, easier to get? ]

For the GLK12232-25-SM we have two revision. Revision 1.4 and our newest revision that we just released revision 2.0

Please visit this link for more information on the revision 2.0:

http://www.matrixorbital.ca/PCNs/glkglc ... 232-25-SM/

If Raquel determines that your display is in fact "broken" then we can do an RMA and if your display is still under the warranty period (1 year) we can replace it if it cannot be fixed.

The easiest ordering option for you would be to place an order directly through us on our e-commerce website if you decide to purchase another display.

www.matrixorbital.com

Please let me know if you have any more sales questions.

Thank you,
Clare