Installing Temp Probes

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

andrepvieira
LCD?

Installing Temp Probes

Post by andrepvieira »

Hi, can anyone guide me on how to install temp probes and which would be the best way to do it? thanks a lot.

Aniso
-=Beloved by all=-
-=Beloved by all=-

Post by Aniso »

It totally depends on what you want to probe and where :o

In my computer system, I have them crazy glued to various locations on the flat sides of the probes.

andrepvieira
LCD?

Post by andrepvieira »

Aniso wrote:It totally depends on what you want to probe and where :o

In my computer system, I have them crazy glued to various locations on the flat sides of the probes.
Ok, I want to probe my CPU and Ghaphic card.

Aniso
-=Beloved by all=-
-=Beloved by all=-

Post by Aniso »

Both a little tough. For the graphics card (assuming you mean the VPU), I recommend crazy gluing it to the BACK of the board directly behind the VPU.

For the processor, well this is philosophy. You could NEVER read the temperature of the CPU fast enough to do anything about it in a catastrophic situation (like your heatsink falls off or something), so what you really want is RELATIVE measurement. We all love precise acurate and timely numbers, but really you don't need them. I would stick that probe behind the motherboard in a similar manner as the video card.

That said, you already have a temperature probe inside the CPU which is FAR more indicitive and a LOT faster in response because it is on the die, so use it.

If I still had a water cooled CPU, I would put a probe on the input and output side of the water-block - epoxyed into T-joiners - right in the water flow. THAT is useful information.

andrepvieira
LCD?

Post by andrepvieira »

Aniso wrote:Both a little tough. For the graphics card (assuming you mean the VPU), I recommend crazy gluing it to the BACK of the board directly behind the VPU.

For the processor, well this is philosophy. You could NEVER read the temperature of the CPU fast enough to do anything about it in a catastrophic situation (like your heatsink falls off or something), so what you really want is RELATIVE measurement. We all love precise acurate and timely numbers, but really you don't need them. I would stick that probe behind the motherboard in a similar manner as the video card.

That said, you already have a temperature probe inside the CPU which is FAR more indicitive and a LOT faster in response because it is on the die, so use it.

If I still had a water cooled CPU, I would put a probe on the input and output side of the water-block - epoxyed into T-joiners - right in the water flow. THAT is useful information.
ok, lets say a couple of months from now I wanted to update my MOBO? woudn't the crazy gluing make matters worst in this case? If you were to probe your pc what would be your first 2 choices?

Aniso
-=Beloved by all=-
-=Beloved by all=-

Post by Aniso »

I'm sure it's not 100.000% sure, but I have every confidence in a flat blade screwdriver, a small hammer and a sharp rap (a short sharp shock, if you will)

If I have to choose 2 things it is:
1 - the REAL ambient temperature (at the air intake).
2 - The total system "load" (ie: temperature at the exhaust)

From this you can decide how fast to run your AUXILARY fans and simply assume that your CPU and VPU fans are doing a good job of spreading heat to the inside of your case. Of course, none of that applies if I have just 2 probes AND I am overclocking my VPU. In that case, I DEFINITELY want one on the VPU (and maybe the video memory too).

andrepvieira
LCD?

Post by andrepvieira »

Aniso wrote:I'm sure it's not 100.000% sure, but I have every confidence in a flat blade screwdriver, a small hammer and a sharp rap (a short sharp shock, if you will)

If I have to choose 2 things it is:
1 - the REAL ambient temperature (at the air intake).
2 - The total system "load" (ie: temperature at the exhaust)

From this you can decide how fast to run your AUXILARY fans and simply assume that your CPU and VPU fans are doing a good job of spreading heat to the inside of your case. Of course, none of that applies if I have just 2 probes AND I am overclocking my VPU. In that case, I DEFINITELY want one on the VPU (and maybe the video memory too).
Well, in my case I'm not really overclocking my machine. So I guess I would " tape" it near air intake for ambient temp? what about the one near exaust? sorry! im a newbie when it comes to this..thabnks for your help so far!

Aniso
-=Beloved by all=-
-=Beloved by all=-

Post by Aniso »

Cable tie? If you have a separate fan AND a fan in the power supply, then put it in the air flow of the separate fan.