Wired Remote

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

babber
LCD!

Post by babber »

I want to make a wired remote to control winamp from another room in my house. I want to see what track is playing and have the ability to skip forward and backward. Programming is no problem but I am fairly new to LCDs. Has anyone done this and if so, do you have a web site so I can view you project.

Cheers

Babber

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

Well, for 1 Girder is a good idea... you can make it do just about aything... and from there you will find links to electronic stuff on how to make a IR reciever and so on...

http://www.girder.nl/
Henry J.
President
Matrix Orbital

babber
LCD!

Post by babber »

Sorry for not being more specific - I am considering using a Matrix Orbital LCD display with keyboard interface to make a remote control for winamp which will be placed in another room and connected to the PC via the serial cable. I already have an IRman but I would like to see what song I am playing! I would like to see how others have achieved this eg keyboard vs discrete switches, housings, wiring etc.

Thanks

Babber

PS is there going to be a UK distributor? - shipping is a bit pricey!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: babber on 2002-01-16 10:46 ]</font>

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

well... LCDCenter 2.0 does this kind of and allows you to turn the volume up and down, skip track and use different play lists... But some more software development has to take place in this field... if anyone is interested drop me a line... there are perks in this offer :grin:

but since our LCDs have keypads this is possible... all it will require is a winamp plugin to recognize the LCD keystrokes and act accordingly.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Henry on 2002-01-16 14:40 ]</font>

BasieP
LCD Smartie
LCD Smartie

Post by BasieP »

well, LCD Smartie 5.0 will have included that you can control winamp with your keypad.

You can also toggle GPO's manually and scroll your LCD, skip a screen, freeze a screen, or set backlight on/off

but i will release it when i have CF support done.. and that could take a while (see there forum)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BasieP on 2002-01-17 09:47 ]</font>

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

I'm thinking of maybe getting some old VCR buttons and wiring them up to the LCDs keypad... :grin: then you could really have nice play, stop, pause FF, FW buttons.. NO?
Henry J.
President
Matrix Orbital

BasieP
LCD Smartie
LCD Smartie

Post by BasieP »

DAMNIT

I am looking for months now to get nice buttons, but i just cant find 'it' and here you just saying exactly what i need

thanx, i am directly going to break my VCR :wink:

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

LOL... I think that might be a bad idea... I think one of my friends recently took apart one...
Henry J.
President
Matrix Orbital

relix
Uber Slave
Uber Slave

Post by relix »

good idea, but I don't have an old VCR though :sad:

I'm searching for something like that too

twain4me
LCD Geek

Post by twain4me »

Yeahhh cool I got 2 old vcr's. i belive i'am going to take 1 apart... :grin:

Hmm just found a sony diskman.. .. the buttons are cool.. hmm i'am wondering......

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: twain4me on 2002-01-19 18:29 ]</font>

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

all you have to make sure the keypad is a matrix style, or just if you use single buttons they short out, creating a key stroke... I'm still diging around looking for some for my new Car MP3 player... :grin:
Henry J.
President
Matrix Orbital

relix
Uber Slave
Uber Slave

Post by relix »

you mean you can't add a switch to, for example, C1 and R1 and a switch to C2 and R1 at the same time?

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

On 2002-01-20 08:14, relix wrote:
you mean you can't add a switch to, for example, C1 and R1 and a switch to C2 and R1 at the same time?
You can... just make sure it's a momentary switch...
Henry J.
President
Matrix Orbital

relix
Uber Slave
Uber Slave

Post by relix »

oh right, a momentary switch! ( ??? )
is it something that, like if you push it in, the button just closes the circuit for a limited time? I don't see how that can help if you actually push the 2 buttons at once...