LCDC Comunication Question

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

Ang3lFir3
LCD?

LCDC Comunication Question

Post by Ang3lFir3 »

I am working on a project that is to use a vk204-25v (serial VFD) and attach to a usb serial adapter. My question is can i presume that LCDC will be able to connect to the com port the device (adapter) attaches itself too or must i connect to the device over com ports 1 or 2 only? I can force the device to connect to any com port and it will attach itself to the first available one (com1 assuming its not in use) but i figured i should ask first.

ohh and there is a special reason i am not using a usb vfd :)

Thanks,
Ang3lFir3

Tom
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Tom »

If you are using a USB adapter, it will create a virtual com port for you, so you are not limited to com ports 1 or 2. You must also have the USB adapter's drivers it to work. LCDC will then treat that port like any other port.

:D
Best Regards,

Ang3lFir3
LCD?

Post by Ang3lFir3 »

That is what i suspected from reading th documentation from the usb adapters site but i wanted to make 100% sure.

Thank you very much

WheresWaldo
LCD?

Post by WheresWaldo »

I have a similar problem. Before loading LCDC I also had TDK Bluetooth dongle. With Bluetooth loaded it moved all the new com port assignments into the COM50 range. When I installed LCDC it set itself up as COM56. Now each time the PC restarts LCDC says it cannot communicate with COM2. When I go in to configure/test the panel, it correctly identifies it as on COM56. After restarting I have to go in to the test protion then can imediately back out, without sending the panel anything and it will be working again. This is really an annoyance and I would like some suggestions to fix it please.

Tom
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Tom »

Hi,

Thank you for posting.

Have you tried loading the new driver yet? You can download the most recent driver at http://www.lcdforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1016 . The newest version was released on February 7, so you might not have it yet.

Try this, and see if this improves your situation.

Best Regards,

WheresWaldo
LCD?

Post by WheresWaldo »

Didn't help! LCDC still tries to access COM2 on startup even though MX2 is on COM56. During the detection phase it scans COM1, COM53, COM54, COM55, COM56, so it knows how to find the panel. It just won't keep the configuration.

BTW COM53-55 are the Bluetooth emulated serial ports.

Tom
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Tom »

Can you try changing the comport number to out of the range of COM53-COM55?

WheresWaldo
LCD?

Post by WheresWaldo »

I was able to change it to COM2 even though COM2 through COM52 show up as [in use]. I ignored the warning dialog boxes. and will see if it works.