differrent colored VFD's

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

PYRO
LCD?

Post by PYRO »

Hi
Will you be getting different colored VFD's in, there was a post a couple of months back in the Bit-Tech forums about you getting them in with red,blue,green text on a black background....i really need a blue one:)

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

They are not different colored VFDs, they are VFDs with filters in front of them. We have ordered about 10 of each color and should be for sale 2-3 weeks :smile:
Henry J.
President
Matrix Orbital

RalfRP
LCD?

Post by RalfRP »

Hey all... new here... I saw filters mentioned as being used "on most of the [VFD] pictures here"... so if I was considering a VFD with a black bezel, would it look bad w/o a filter? Is it more or less required to get a "pro" appearance?

I also assume they're not very dark, or maybe the VFDs are very bright <g>

I've been reading the forums: great support BTW!

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

If the VFD will not be in direct sunlight it will look fine. As soon as direct light hits it, it begins to wash out. The interesting thing is, it really doesn't matter how bright the room is, as long as sun isn't hitting the VFD directly it will be fine. But the filters do add a "interesting" look.

not the best picture in the world, but gives you an idea.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Henry on 2001-12-12 21:14 ]</font>

wisemirai
LCD?

Post by wisemirai »

does this mean that removing the filter will allow permanent damage from sunlight? or just affect the way it looks under sunlight?
Also, if I take the filter off, will it go back on easily?

thanks.

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

No, direct sunlight will NOT damage the VFD... The filter will have a sticky surface which will stick to the VFD glass. On the PC Bay inserts all I did was put them between the metal and the glass and then screwed the VFD down.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Henry on 2001-12-12 23:17 ]</font>

PYRO
LCD?

Post by PYRO »

Thanks henry...i'm a little confused tho, is it just the filters that you are getting in or is it VFD's with the filters already fitted

if it's just the filters your getting in i can order a VFD now and fit the filter myself when they come in, seems pretty easy to do from what u say :smile:

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

On 2001-12-13 07:49, PYRO wrote:
Thanks henry...i'm a little confused tho, is it just the filters that you are getting in or is it VFD's with the filters already fitted

if it's just the filters your getting in i can order a VFD now and fit the filter myself when they come in, seems pretty easy to do from what u say :smile:
Yes, that's right. The VFD filter is just a peice of special plastic that can be removed or put on. They are not on by default.
Henry J.
President
Matrix Orbital

PYRO
LCD?

Post by PYRO »

Cool,cheers henry

ultraspider
LCD Geek

Post by ultraspider »

can you do the same thing with a LCD screen because all are greens (and one clear blue)
is it possible to do ?

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

No, it's totaly different system. To make a LCD a different color requires a different backlight and glass. I tried putting a filter in front of a LCD and you can't see anything, the LCD isn't bright enough.
Henry J.
President
Matrix Orbital

ChriX
ICEHW.net
ICEHW.net

Post by ChriX »

OOOooh - I gotta get me a red VFD for my project after chrimbo... :smile:

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

BTW... filters are here, just no pictures of them in action...

http://www.matrixorbital.com/accessories.htm#VFD_Filter
Henry J.
President
Matrix Orbital

specialk
LCD Guru

Post by specialk »

My dad uses some really big 1x16 VFDs in his cutanteous communication research experiments for visual feedback for stimuli. He has the blue filters and although the VFD characters are segmented (not 5x7 pixels) it does give a nice look to them. I would highly recommend the filters for a new and unique look :smile:

-special [k]