EVE2-29A-BLM-TPN Configuration

FTDI/Bridgetek EVE2 & EVE3 & EVE4 SPI TFT Series by Matrix Orbital

Moderator: Mods

arupratanb
LCD?

EVE2-29A-BLM-TPN Configuration

Post by arupratanb »

Dear Sir,
We have procured two modules of 2.9" size carrying part no EVE2-29A-BLM-TPN for making prototype of an instrument under development almost one & 1/2 month back from MOUSER . However, so far we are not able to make it work. Only Backlight is getting on and we are able to change the intensity as well through duty control of PWM . We have checked all Registers and Memory locations for correct writing of data through debugger and found everything to be in order (as suggested in the Programming Guide). We have used PSoC3 of Cypress Semiconductor as host and using SPI interface for the Display. Please suggest us a solution at the earliest as we need to go for qty production (200 units) immediately after the prototyping is over.
Regards.
Arup Ratan Bhattacharya
Dy. General Manager(Dev.)

Daniel Divino
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Re: EVE2-29A-BLM-TPN Configuration

Post by Daniel Divino »

Hi Arup,

Welcome to the forums!

I understand you are having difficulties communicating with your EVE-29A-BLM-TPN display.

First, I suggest you take a look at our EVE application notes which are pre-made projects that demonstrate how to setup and configure communication with the display.

You can find our EVE application notes here :
https://www.matrixorbital.com/app/app-eve-series

Second, would you be able to post your code? It would be easier to determine what is going wrong if we had an example of what you are currently doing.

Thanks,
Daniel
Daniel Divino
Technical Support
Matrix Orbital

arupratanb
LCD?

Post by arupratanb »

Hi Daniel,
Thanks for the reply.
Please find attached the code we are using.
Requiest you to kindly extend your help at the earliest.
Regards.
Attachments
Display_Code.txt
Code being used for TFT
(9.89 KiB) Downloaded 625 times

arupratanb
LCD?

Post by arupratanb »

Hi Daniel,
Kindly inform me about your findings at the earliest. On further checking I find that the PCLK is not getting generated and which probably indicates that either there is an error in initialization part or device got damaged. Can the device get damaged if any or some of the registers are programmed with wrong TFT data ? How both the modules behaving likewise ? Are both damaged ? What is the reliability of the product? Please reply quickly to all these quires . In fact I am facing such a problem for the first time in my 25 years of Design & Development carrier. Please respond fast , otherwise I shall have no option but to switch over to some other display as I can't afford to loose my Business due to this.

Regards

Arup

Daniel Divino
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Daniel Divino »

Hi Arup,

Upon first glance, it looks like your initial setup is correct but can you tell me why you are writing 4 to REG_DLSWAP instead of the valid 2, or 1? Sending a 4 to REG_DLSWAP will not have the desired effect, and in the programmer's manual, it specifies that only 1 and 2 should be written to that register.

We haven't had any reports of customers damaging the FT81X processor by writing to the wrong register(s). I haven't stumbled upon any similar reports online either. From my experience, our EVE2 display series is fairly robust, and all of the issues that I've experienced when using the product occurred due to improper initialization/code instead of faulty hardware.

If you used the same code to run both displays, it is possible that you are missing something crucial in your setup.

Please let me know if changing the value that you write to REG_DLSWAP makes a difference.

Cheers,
Daniel
Daniel Divino
Technical Support
Matrix Orbital

arupratanb
LCD?

Post by arupratanb »

Hi Daniel,
Thanks for the reply! I have tried out with 1 as well as 2 but getting the same result. Can you send me a few lines of codes which is responsible for setting up desired Clock frequency and activating PLCK. I feel only due to some configuration problem PCLK is not getting generated.
Please suggest.

Regards.

Arup

Daniel Divino
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Daniel Divino »

Hi Arup,

You can take a look at our EVE2 appnotes for example code.

All of our EVE2 appnotes contain information regarding how to setup the display. Although you are running on a different platform, the order that commands/data is sent will still apply.

You can find our appnotes available for download here : https://www.matrixorbital.com/app/app-eve-series

When waking up the display, are you able to successfully read the EVE's chip ID?

Cheers,
Daniel
Daniel Divino
Technical Support
Matrix Orbital

arupratanb
LCD?

Post by arupratanb »

Hi Daniel,
Yes ! I am able to read Chip ID and locations 0xc00000,0xc00001,0xc00002 etc for correct data. And even I am able to read correctly all the register and Memory locations (RAM_DL & RAM_CMD)data whatever I write to.
It really is a surprise to me why Display is not getting generated. Suggest if there is any clue to this problem.
Regards.

Arup

Daniel Divino
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Daniel Divino »

Hi Arup,

I've taken a look at your display code once again and I've noticed you are setting your GPIO to 0x80 setting bit 7 high. Could you try setting your GPIO to 0xFFFF.

As described in the FT81X Programmer's guide:
Bit 3-0: Writing or reading the pin of GPIO 3-0. 1 for high and 0 for low.
Bit 8-4: reserved
Bit 9: INT_N Type (0: OD-default, 1:Push-pull)
Bit 11-10: MISO, MOSI, IO2, IO3, INT_N Drive Strength Setting (00:5mA - default, 01:10mA, 10:15mA, 11:20mA)
Bit 12: PCLK, DISP, V/HSYNC, DE, R,G,B, BACKLIGHT Drive Strength Setting (0:5mA - default, 1:10mA)
Bit 14-13:GPIO[3:0], TOUCHWAKE Drive Strength Setting (00:5mA - default, 01:10mA, 10:15mA, 11:20mA)
Bit 15 : Setting or reading the level of pin DISP. 1 for high and 0 for low

These pins need to be configured in order for the chip to operate properly. Please try setting these values by ORing your GPIO register value with 0xFFFF

Cheers,
Daniel
Daniel Divino
Technical Support
Matrix Orbital

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

Hello Arup,

Have you considered using our GTT series? It has a number of features and options that might be easier to develop and implement in your product.

https://www.matrixorbital.com/matrix-or ... -tft-touch

We do not have a 2.9" with no keypad model but can make one very easy. You can try development on it and see if it works better for you. If it does, we can do a module for you without the keypad and a smaller PCB to fit your application better and reduce the cost of it.

https://www.matrixorbital.com/matrix-or ... uch/gtt29a
Henry J.
President
Matrix Orbital

arupratanb
LCD?

Post by arupratanb »

Dear Mr. Henry,
Thanks for your suggestion. But I think it came after a long delay. We are about to go for an alternate solution from some other company in Germany, as I had left with no other option . I had already indicated in my previous posts that I was having very little time in hand to complete prototyping. But I could not get any help. Three of your 2.9" EVE2 TFT modules now abandoned and I have to write a report to my Audit on this . We tried to run it with another micro controller of Cygnal processor and found same issues as noticed with Cypress PSoC. Are your displays designed for any specific processor ? Now , I am very much afraid of using any solution from your company. Another issue is availability I came to know hardly there is any stock available for 2.9" EVE2 . I need a qty of 200+ immediate (with in a month from today). What is the guarantee that same thing will not happen with your newly proposed GTT solution. Can you send a few samples of your proposed solution to me with in a few days time ? I want it exactly with same dimension as 2.9" EVE2 module. Is it possible What will be price/module ? Again , time is very very precious for me.

Regards.

Arup

Daniel Divino
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Daniel Divino »

Hi Arup,

It is unfortunate to here that you were unable to get the your EVE display up and running. Were you able to set all of your GPIOX bits high? I have been testing with my unit here, and it appears that if your GPIOX register isn't configured properly, the display won't appear properly.

The real concern is with bit 15, which controls the DISP pin. If this is not set to high, the display won't come up properly.

Have you been able to modify your code to enable the display pin?

Our GTT series is a much simpler platform, and you will be able to control the screen by sending commands (decimal strings) to the display. The platform offers multiple communication protocols, such as RS232, i2c and USB Serial. To give you an example of how simple it is to manipulate the screen, our clear screen command is 2 bytes (254, 88). Writing text on the display is simple, as all you need to do is send your string's ASCII values to the display, and the characters will appear on screen.

Cheers,
Daniel
Daniel Divino
Technical Support
Matrix Orbital

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

arupratanb wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:54 am
Dear Mr. Henry,
Thanks for your suggestion. But I think it came after a long delay. We are about to go for an alternate solution from some other company in Germany, as I had left with no other option . I had already indicated in my previous posts that I was having very little time in hand to complete prototyping. But I could not get any help. Three of your 2.9" EVE2 TFT modules now abandoned and I have to write a report to my Audit on this . We tried to run it with another micro controller of Cygnal processor and found same issues as noticed with Cypress PSoC. Are your displays designed for any specific processor ? Now , I am very much afraid of using any solution from your company. Another issue is availability I came to know hardly there is any stock available for 2.9" EVE2 . I need a qty of 200+ immediate (with in a month from today). What is the guarantee that same thing will not happen with your newly proposed GTT solution. Can you send a few samples of your proposed solution to me with in a few days time ? I want it exactly with same dimension as 2.9" EVE2 module. Is it possible What will be price/module ? Again , time is very very precious for me.

Regards.

Arup
Arup,

We have hundreds of stock at our facility, since we have such a large product range, our distributors can only carry so many of our products. A custom GTT solution would need more time than a few days to my a custom PCB to fit your application and the pricing will be higher as this is a more intelligent and more powerful display.

I hope you can get your issues resolved with Daniels help.
Henry J.
President
Matrix Orbital

DunnPenny
LCD?

Post by DunnPenny »

Hi...i also want to know about above case that the device get damaged if any or some of the registers are programmed with wrong TFT data ? How both the modules behaving likewise ? Are both damaged ? What is the reliability of the product?

Daniel Divino
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Daniel Divino »

Hi DunnPenny,

I cannot speak for the customer, but I can say that we have had the 2.9" display running continuously for +8 hours a day for multiple days at a few different trade shows. So far, we haven't seen any issues with 2.9" displays since we started using them in both our EVE Series, and our GTT Series.

The FTDI EVE IC is a very powerful display controller, but there is a fairly long list of registers that need to be configured before the display can be used properly. If certain registers are misconfigured, the display may not operate properly.

We understand that tackling an EVE display may be a huge endeavor for those unfamiliar with the FTDI EVE controller, so we have developed a few demos to help new users get their feet wet. These demos are available on our website and can help users troubleshoot their displays in case they are experiencing difficulties during development. The demos can help pinpoint whether the issues are hardware or software related, or even act as a sanity check to determine if the hardware is still working properly during development. In addition, they are a good starting point, instead of starting from scratch.

You can find our EVE Series Demos here: https://www.matrixorbital.com/app/app-eve-series

We highly suggest first time users, or customers who are evaluating the product, to purchase the USB2SPI Bridge; a tool that allows users to connect their displays to their PCs. So far, all of the demos that we have online were developed in Visual Studio using the USB2SPI Bridge, both of which are required to run our demos.

We also back all of our EVE Series displays with a 1 year warranty, and we are always willing to support customers when they experience an issue with any of our products

Cheers,
Daniel
Daniel Divino
Technical Support
Matrix Orbital