Basic 'Help me choose!' thread

Take a load off and chat!

Moderators: Henry, Mods

logan
LCD?

Basic 'Help me choose!' thread

Post by logan »

Hi,

So here goes: I'm very noob when it comes to the dispalys that Matrix offers. I have no idea what model I need/want, so I'm looking for advice.

1) I'd like to mount it in the divider tray of my PC that seperates the PSU/HD area from the Mobo area. Or possibly the window, depending on size.

2) I'd like it to be bright, and yet simple /elegant.

3) I'm looking for a display that would show CPU/GPU/Ambient temps, not necessary to be a 4 line, it can be a 2 line if it scrolls.

4) Have no idea what accesseries I would need, or how I can communicate with it.

If this sounds a little basic, it is (sorry). I've gone through the product selection and looked at a couple of manuals, but I can't really figure out what I would need, or how I can make that work?

I want to control my fans through a controller that will be mounted in the front panel, so that's not necessary to do, but perhaps if it showed Fan RPM's, that would be plus.

And then, Temp Probes I have no idea how they would work and what I would buy, and if it's to the display that I would connect them.

Sorry if this is very basic stuff to you all, but I'm totally new to these and have no idea what they can do, or how you do it.

Help and patience is appreciated!!!!

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clark »

Hi Logan,

Great to hear that you've been exploring the site, and our displays. I know it's pretty easy to get overwhelmed by all the options we have to offer, but I think I can provide a few ideas, and a little understanding.

First, unfortunately, all PCs are set up a little differently, so I'm not quite sure of the size constraints you are working with. The best option for our displays in a PC application will be a bay mount which can be inserted in one of your 5 1/4" CD/DVD drive slots. You can check out those mounting options here.

Second, the type of display you purchase is largely a matter of personal preference. To help narrow it down, you may want to decide if you want a character LCD, character VFD, or graphic LCD. The links I've provided are just a few of my own favorites.

The character units are simplistic, showing just text, as well as 8 custom character that can be used to make icons if you like. The VFD version will be brighter, and easier to read. The greenish text can be a little bland, but a filter will spruce up the look. Finally, graphics will give you a huge range of creativity and flexibility, but may be a little more than you are looking for.

Third, our screens will display almost anything you desire, when provided with the data required. At this point you may want to explore your own code, or purchase a program to do the work for you. We have used LCDC extensively in the past, and I know it will work for displaying temperature, as well as many other vitals on your system.

Finally, you will definitely need to get power and communication lines to your device. If you go with a serial model, you'll be looking for the power and communication cable, if you choose a USB unit, you'll need either and internal or external USB.

As far as other peripherals go, you may want to check out a keypad based on the unit chosen, and it sounds like you definitely want to have a look at some temperature probes. To connect those probes to a display, you will need a Dallas One-Wire header, which are usually added through a pretty simple custom request. But you can reach sales@matrixorbital.ca for all the info on specific models.

For fan control, the older character LCDs and VFDs have the capability to control fans. These units will however, be discontinued. This functionality is currently planned for the GX series through an add on board, however it is unavailable at this time.

Our displays can display any type of data that can be obtained from your system, so you may want to check out a program like LCDC or monitoring software if you would like to go a little more advanced to explore what you can display. As I'm sure you have already discovered; the possibilities are nearly boundless.

Thanks,
Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital

logan
LCD?

Post by logan »

Hi Troy,

Thanks for the information, there was a lot.

A concern that I have, is you mentioned that you will be disconintuing the older models, I guess that you're referring to the VFD series and the LCD series. Does this mean that I would be better off getting something from the GX series?

I think what I would want is something simple, and I like the basicness of the color options of the VFD adn LCD series, but what be concerned about the lack of support or accessories available in the future.

Size is an issue, as I would like it to be small, the size of the 20x2 is baout perfect since I would like to mount it either in the window of the door, or the divider bay of a LL v1000 case.

When you mention keyboards, here I'm lost. Can I not communicate with the display through my own keyboard of the program you mentioned? If it's internally mounted, what would a keyboard do for me?

thanks again!

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clark »

Hi Logan,

Sorry to overwhelm you a little, I'll see if I can't clear up some of those questions for you.

First, yes we are discontinuing older models, however, the LCD and VFD series will not be eliminated entirely. Our -24 models are the only units being discontinued. These units are superseded by our relatively new -25 line. Much remains the same on these new models, however, the advanced GPO capability, which allowed fan control, is no longer available. The character displays in both the LCD and VFD options are slated to continue on indefinitely.

The GX is of course our newest line, and represents a shift in our display technology. This series is currently a basic graphical LCD, with little advanced capability. However, functionality will be added to this series through add on boards that are currently in development which will provide a custom experience for each individual user.

It definitely sounds like you are looking at a 20x2 character unit for size, and you definitely do not have to be concerned about any sort of support void. So I would say that's probably the way to go.

As for keyboards, I think I used the term keypad, but I know these can be a little confusing. You definitely control your display using your PC, however, some people like to add on a keypad to scroll through menus on the display and whatnot. In your application, it sounds like you can provide all the control using the PC, so this is probably something you won't need.

Again, I apologize for the excess information; sometimes I just get a little too excited about all the options we have available to allow developers to customize a screen to their application. If you do have any more questions, I think I have a better idea of your app now, and I'll be more than happy to help.

Thanks,
Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital