Purchase advice

Take a load off and chat!

Moderators: Henry, Mods

JRuss2k
LCD?

Purchase advice

Post by JRuss2k »

A few years ago I purchased an LK-204-25 and had about a year and a half of good use. I used a custom mount for it. Once I got rid of that case I set the LCD on the shelf...until today. I purchased the B2041-BL (black alum.) mount and mounted it into my brand new Lian-Li V2000 Plus Case.

So now the bad news. I completely forgot that Matrix Orbital uses a common PC plug for power but does not use the same pinouts. So as soon as I fired up my brand new case I smelled something burning. I did not see what it was but when I noticed my LCD without a screen I suspected what had happened. I looked at the online PDF manual and sure enough I fried my LCD.

So I am in need of a new display with the following requirements.

1. Must be mountable in the B2041-BL
2. Must be usable with LCDC
3. Prefer USB and one that can be powered by the USB.
4. MUST have either a standard PC power connection or a connection that will not easily be confused with a PC power connection.

I would like to use a graphics display but I am not sure LCDC will support that.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

James

Nick
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Nick »

Hi James,

Take a look at the LK-204-25-USB display. Should do exactly what you need. It is the same display, but with USB capabilities.

http://www.matrixorbital.com/product_in ... acter-lcds

Not sure what color you had, but thats the generic one. If you want to see a list of different colors simply go to our main page, click Alphanumeric LCD dispalys and go to page 2. Any of the displays with the -USB at the end, have that capability.

Regards,
Nick Hesson
Sales Rep.
Matrix Orbital

Nick
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Nick »

James,

I just noticed you mentioned you wanted to use a graphics display. This is entirely possible and the GLK12232-WBL will fit the mount you have, but it will only communicated via serial/I2C.

http://www.matrixorbital.com/product_in ... aphic-lcds
Nick Hesson
Sales Rep.
Matrix Orbital

Jon
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Jon »

Graphic displays are not yet fully supported in LCDC. We do provide a program that you can download from matrixorbital.ca called MOGD sharp that will allow you to upload fonts and bitmaps to the LCD, and exercise all the functions of your display, such as changing the brightness and contrast, but it won't allow you the same functionality as LCDC (ie monitoring fan speed etc). I would recommend checking out lcd studio it is a pretty powerful program for graphic LCDs.

Also I would recommend looking at getting a 5V power adapter for your display. You could also make your own, but this way you will be able to detach the cable when you detach the display and always keep them together so that you don't run into the same problem again.

Thanks for the post,

Jon
Matrix Orbital

JRuss2k
LCD?

Thanks

Post by JRuss2k »

Thank you both for your reply. I actually have a custom cable I created but I didnt keep it with the display so I forgot it requried one. I take it that I can not somehow power the LCD from the USB, is that correct?

Using LCDC is more important than a graphical display so I will probably lean that direction.

Thanks,

James

Jon
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Jon »

If your only using the USB cable to power the display you'll have to be careful of you power usage on the GPO's. USB power cables can only supply around 500mA, only 150mA from an unpowered hub, the display will use around 115 mA with the backlight on full so there isn't much current left to run anything else.

So as a general rule of thumb, if you are powering anything off of the display, be sure to connect the power cable.