I am new to VFDs and LCDs,... I have some questions.

Take a load off and chat!

Moderators: Henry, Mods

tribaloverkill
LCD!

I am new to VFDs and LCDs,... I have some questions.

Post by tribaloverkill »

First,... I was browsing through the gallery and you guyz have some nice S#$%! Very nice. Ok,... I am building a machine and want a nice display in the front. I dont know the first thing about these matrix orbital displays. First question,... how do you get them to display stuff? Is it all through software? What the the limitations of what I can and can not display? I mean I saw over the MO's site where some of the displays said "Winamp is now playing.", "CD-ROM is opening,...", etc. Is that static text or is that display dynamically displaying text where winamp is actually playing and the CD-ROM is actually opening? What about monitoring temps,... I would have to get one that I can hook temp probes too or is there another way of monitoring temps? Can someone give me a reall quick run through of how these things work?

Tom
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Tom »

To get things displayed on the lcd screen you need to use some kind of controller. In your case, your controller will be the pc. The text or graphics are displayed onto the screen with the use of software. People can either write their own software program that can send text and commands to the display or they can use the already made programs like LCDC. You will be able to use almost any programming language, aslong as it can write to the com port.

One limitation will be the amount of custom characters for the alpha numeric displays. The alpha numeric displays are limited to 8 custom characters. You will not be able to change the font size on the alphanumerics; only on the graphic displays. If you have any more specific questions you have on the limitations, you can ask because this is a broad question.

The samples like "winamp playing" are dynamic. Those mentioned samples can be done on LCDC.

You will be able to monitor temperatures with dallas one wire probes on the MX series. You can also control fans connected to the display too. This is all done through software, like LCDC, which come with the MX series.

If you want some more detailed information on the displays, you can go to the link for one of the MX series manuals at http://www.matrixorbital.com/manuals/LK ... USB_02.pdf. You can also go to http://www.lcdc.cc/ for information on LCDC.

If you have any sales questions you can contact our excellent sales staff at info@matrixorbital.com.

Best Regards,

:D

tribaloverkill
LCD!

Post by tribaloverkill »

Ok cool. How many temp probes can I connecy to the MX series? Does it have to be a dallas probe? I am setting up a water cooling system and want to monitor my water temps. Its going to require a different probe. Could I coonect that probe to the MX series? I took a look over the LCDC and read some about it. Very cool. I will probably get one of the matrix displays, maybe two, a large 20char X 4 line and a small display. Not sure. Which display do you guyz recommedn though? VFD or LCD? What are the advantages of each? How about this,... which is more popular? That should narrow down things. Thanks.

Tom
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Tom »

For the MX2 you can connect 4 temp. probes and 6 on the MX4. The probe needs to be a dallas one wire probe. You would be able to use the probe in water aslong as you insulated with epoxy.

Personally, I like a VFD better just because they are brighter, and they can withstand more extreme temperatures. The main advantage the LCD has over the VFD, is they are less expensive. They will work the same way though. The more popular display is the LCD because of the cost.

Best Regards,

tribaloverkill
LCD!

Post by tribaloverkill »

Tom wrote:For the MX2 you can connect 4 temp. probes and 6 on the MX4. The probe needs to be a dallas one wire probe. You would be able to use the probe in water aslong as you insulated with epoxy.

Personally, I like a VFD better just because they are brighter, and they can withstand more extreme temperatures. The main advantage the LCD has over the VFD, is they are less expensive. They will work the same way though. The more popular display is the LCD because of the cost.

Best Regards,

So cost is the only real difference? Well,... I kinda like the VFD better. So I think I will get one of those.

Tom
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Tom »

The main differences is vfds are quicker, brighter, more expensive, and they can withstand more extreme temperatures. :D

Bernie
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Bernie »

Hello, I must add that VFD (vaccum Florecent display) technology is quite different than the LCD (Liquid Crystal Display). Not only the price difference and temp. range....but the VFD will have much better viewing angles. With VFDs you are also able to purchase filters (various colors avail.) which help filter direct sunlight making the VFD much crisper, brighter with more clarity than a LCD.....especially in some bright lite or outdoor applications.

VFD technology is a much more advanced technology.

I hope this helps!!
Regards,
Bernadine
berniew@matrixorbital.ca