Direct image display and speed?

GTT TFT Support

Moderator: Mods

chirpinquiry
LCD?

Direct image display and speed?

Post by chirpinquiry »

Hi,

I was wondering what command(s) could be used to directly load bitmap images directly from the host and what formats are supported? My application would be generating new bitmaps, so they could not be preloaded into an SD card.

Also, specifically for the GTT480272A-USB, how fast could a full screen bitmap be transmitted and displayed? Is it possible to do low frame rate animations/video and, if so, at what frame rate?

If this is covered in a previous message or in the manual, could you point me in the right direction?

Thanks

chirpinquiry
LCD?

Re: Direct image display and speed?

Post by chirpinquiry »

Hi,

As a follow on question, I was wondering what the data transfer speed for this module was when loading files from the host, through the USB, onto the SD card?

Also, was is the data transfer rate from the SD card into the display for a bitmap graphic image?

Thanks for checking on this

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Re: Direct image display and speed?

Post by Clark »

Hi Chirpinquiry,

If necessary, you can use the commands listed in the Filesystem App Note to upload files to the GTT on the fly. I would recommend uploading a bitmap using the standard mass storage method first, then downloading that file using the commands listed in the app note to get an idea of the speed and file format required.

The upload will use the XModem protocol operating at your current communication speed, 115200bps default. This will likely be a slow process and was added to the feature set to enable the customer to take a display offline and update visual elements of their interface in the field without wiring changes.

Transmission, load, and draw times for a bitmap will depend on your communication speed and the size of your image in memory. Experimentally, using a 103KB 480x272 jpg already transmitted to the GTT using mass storage mode, load time is approximately 4.5 seconds and draw time about 100 milliseconds. Animations are also possible, and you will find that the largest delay will again be load time. Video is not available.

The GTT was designed as a system GUI rather than a real-time video display. For this purpose, static images are typically loaded on bootup then quickly pulled up as needed within the structure of the interface. You may find it difficult to implement a dynamic video style output on the GTT and I would recommend decreasing the number and area of dynamic elements to increase the responsiveness of visual updates.

Thanks,
Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital