Bitmap, gif, jpeg loading issues

GTT TFT Support

Moderator: Mods

phildoe
LCD?

Bitmap, gif, jpeg loading issues

Post by phildoe »

I am having a hell of a time trying to get any .bmp, .gif, or .jpeg to load into the bitmap buffer.

I have tried different sizes (250KB-2.2MB) and types of these files with no luck.

Always get the "out of RAM storage" error. I have seen this question asked before but never answered "What is the size of the buffer?"

I have also gotten this unlisted error before: 252 95 00 01 255

-all files are saved on the onboard sd card's root directory
-I am running the latest firmware
-Cleared all buffers
-Reset all devices and changed serial ports
-Checked all posts similar to this

Another issue I have is with the support program:

-Two way communications work flawlesslly however the "test connection" feature always freezes the software(my GTT is the 232 version). Happens on a 32-bit vista desktop with built in serial port as well as 64-bit Win7 laptop with a CommFront usb-serial adapter.

Any insight is greatly appreciated!
thanks
Phil

phildoe
LCD?

Solved

Post by phildoe »

My bitmap editor was corrupting the the bitmaps upon saving. Switched to MS Paint and everything works fine.

Still curious as to how much ram is available for the buffer, and the test connection button still crashes the evaulation software. I have no real use for the test connection feature, however I would like to be sure my current configuration is not having communication issues.

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clark »

Hi Phil,

Glad to hear your display is up and running. Unfortunately, I've been unable to find much additional information for you today; we do have a GTT Tool fix for the crashes on its way which I'm testing, and I see the buffer size is not documented so I will have to query Engineering tomorrow.

I'll check back in when I know more, thanks for your patience,
~Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital

phildoe
LCD?

Post by phildoe »

Thanks for the quick response Troy, here and the TTL question I submitted through the support link on the website. I have been itching to get my MCU board layout finished and sent out. One less 232 transceiver is always good.

Don't mean to be needy but I came across a few other things I am curious about and have not been able to find much information on.

-How large can a AUTOEXEC file be? I am able to send all the commands in my AUTOEXEC with the GTT tool at one time, however when I use the "save as" with the binary option and place the file in the root directory on the GTT's SD card I have no luck.

I will try just saving one simple verifiable command with the GTT tool(current file is 266B) as a AUTOEXEC file tommorow when I get a chance, or maybe just make a binary from scratch.

-Should the AUTOEXEC file I saved using the save as binary option in the GTT tool have the .gsf file extension(my file looks like "AUTOEXEC.gsf")? I opened the file in visual studio and it is appears to be a normal binary file, however it has the .gsf extension which is the same as the normal save option. The data in both files is in different formats of course.

From the Protocol Manual:

"If a command is started within the AUTOEXEC, however is not completed with the data in the AUTOEXEC, the command will wait for data from the serial port to complete the command. After which, the module will return
to normal operations."

If the above quote means that I cannot use "load bitmap to buffer" commands in the AUTOEXEC, then that is what I am doing wrong.

Or is the AUTOEXEC actually a "folder" that I need to create in the root directory of the SD card to which I then insert my startup binary file.

I feel like I am missing something, or there is something missing in the manual or the GTT tool.

Apologies in advance if I am making a dumb mistake, I am working on too many projects at once and I tend to find myself getting tunnel vision lately.

thanks again,

Phil

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clark »

No worries Phil,

Glad to see you've gotten a start on the GTT; it is a new product so naturally there will be a few questions as you get to know what it can do.

First, please download the newest version of the GTT firmware, revision 1.1.1.3196. We have made a few improvements to the AutoExec which may help in your application.

Next, the AutoExec should be saved without an extension. I believe the GTT Support Tool may add a .gsf, if so just remove that when you save it to the display. It should be saved to the root of the GTT, not in any folder.

Finally, the AutoExec will execute as if a series of commands were sent to the display in succession. You can load and even display bitmaps, but they may not appear instantly, especially if many are to be loaded or displayed. If all information is provided for each command the display will happily chug along, if not it will wait for the remaining bytes to be sent.

Hopefully that provides some idea of what the AutoExec file can and cannot do, should you have any further questions as you continue to get to know the GTT, please don't hesitate to post.

Thanks,
~Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital

phildoe
LCD?

Post by phildoe »

The .gsf extension on the AUTOEXEC was my problem all along, however another issue has me a little puzzled.

Even with just a beep command in autoexec the GTT's screen displays "Waiting for debug commands...." after the autoexec has executed. The only thing the support tool's debug view shows is a "0" which is sent every time it is turned on.

phildoe
LCD?

Post by phildoe »

I added a "00" as the last byte in the file with my binary editor and it has appeared to solve the "Waiting for debug commands..." issue. A raw HEX command of "00" in the support tool's command tab will accomplish the same thing before you save the AUTOEXEC as a binary.

I am assuming this is the proper way to do it.

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clark »

Thanks for the tip Phil, I'll look into the matter further to see if there are any possible issues with either the Support Tool or the firmware build.

~Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital