My Feature Request

GTT TFT Support

Moderator: Mods

Rusty
LCD?

My Feature Request

Post by Rusty »

Awhile back it was mentioned that a future firmware will have some filesystem functions to allow for uploading of images (hopefully this will also allow uploading images to the ram buffer so the SD card doesn't have to be hit as often). This will be a very useful feature for me, but I am also curious if it would be possible to add a more basic feature that would allow me to upload a bitmap to the buffer in an efficient manner without having to deal with a specific file.

I am building a control panel for a home automation system that uses a variety of icons. It would be very nice to be able to quickly upload new icons (bitmaps) while the device is in use. For example, the user could be navigating some home theater menus on the GTT, and freshly updated icons could be loaded "just in time" to reflect new TV station logos or movie title logos.

I can see the value in both a filesystem upload function and a more basic upload to ram bitmap buffer function, especially for images that may only be used once or twice.

Is this something that will be available soon? Thank you in advance!

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clark »

No worries Rusty,

First, I'd just like to make sure we apply the word "may" for feature requests, but yes, I have filed a formal request for a direct upload command for legacy purposes. The old command would take x and y location, and width and height size parameters, followed by a string of bytes that would turn our mono chrome pixels on and off. The request is to duplicate that function.

I have linked your post here to the request, I like the idea of loading into the bitmap buffer to dynamically create images that can be somewhat static. In time, there will be more discussion regarding the feature before a decision is reached to implement it, then it may be coded and could find it's way into a future firmware release. Unfortunately, even if it is accepted, I would not expect to see this change in the near future.

~Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital

mpetty
LCD Geek

Re: My Feature Request

Post by mpetty »

Rusty wrote:Awhile back it was mentioned that a future firmware will have some filesystem functions to allow for uploading of images (hopefully this will also allow uploading images to the ram buffer so the SD card doesn't have to be hit as often)
It would be very nice to be able to quickly upload new icons (bitmaps) while the device is in use. For example, the user could be navigating some home theater menus on the GTT, and freshly updated icons could be loaded "just in time" to reflect new TV station logos or movie title logos.

I can see the value in both a filesystem upload function and a more basic upload to ram bitmap buffer function, especially for images that may only be used once or twice.

Is this something that will be available soon? Thank you in advance!
I second this request. We have two displays heavily integrated into a box. It's fairly tight for the jumpers and other usb cables, but we can keep a second cable in there, and put wires into a connector that mounts to the jumper location and goes to an internal switch that lets us switch modes. Opening the case every time I want to fiddle with something isn't too bad, and having lots of extra wires and stuff in the box isn't horrible, but it severely limits my ability to do upgrades/add features for delivered units in the field. I mean, my customers aren't going to open up the case and do all of that....I guess that I could put some Ditigtal IO and relays in the box to programatically change state, and cycle displays, but doing all of that seems like a lot.

IF we're really going to use this as a unit in our products, then being able to upgrade items in the field from my code would be pretty much necessary, which would either be me loading the bitmaps into the buffer from my program efficiently or being able to directly load them onto the SD card from my program for later use.

I'm looking at testing out the new release tomorrow and seeing how it goes :) I'll be sure to let you know Troy.

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clark »

Hi Mike,

First, great to hear you will be testing out the new firmware, please make sure you grab version, 1.0.2.3066.

Second, we really do appreciate your feedback and do use it. Your external switch solution (SPDT I presume) for mass storage mode is a great idea for external control in a permanent enclosure given our design. With two cables permanently connected you should be able to flip the switch and either cycle the power or software reset the unit to boot up in a different mode.

That said, I do realize you are working around our design. We mulled over many different solutions to incorporate the external memory, each with it's ups and downs, and this was chosen to be the best.

While the SD mass storage configuration isn't scheduled to change, the ability to load buffers or draw images at run time becomes much more important. Feedback like yours will aid in our discussions as we consider this feature for a future release.

Thanks again,
~Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital