Another Feature Request

GTT TFT Support

Moderator: Mods

mpetty
LCD Geek

Another Feature Request

Post by mpetty »

So, uh, you guys are probably tired of me by now, but I have another quick feature request.

As you can see from the video (no longer attached, too large. Troy has it in his email), our unit has two GTT's displaying some signals. The user hits the record/stop button and the LED color of the button itself toggles red/green.

It would also be nice to be able to change the color of the bargraph's FG/BG once it has been created.

That way, it could be one color, and when they hit record the whole display could update and change color to give a better visual effect.

Both displays are updating at 5Hz now, which makes some of the signals look choppy, but it is what it is for right now since the display doesn't go any faster.

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clark »

No worries Mike,

From a user standpoint the ability to change bargraph colours on the fly to suit the mood of the environment seems like a great idea so I have added it to the feature request list. Of course I know nothing of the coding or implementation nightmares I may have created, so I can't tell you if it will be accepted or not. I do know we have a few pressing issues with existing commands we'd like to fix up so it will probably be some time before Engineering is able to take a look at this one.

For now I've tried changing the drawing colour which of course has no effect, so I'll have to recommend creating a new bargraph for each new colour. I created a small demo in which I defined 3 graphs with identical parameters save for the foreground colour. Preforming an update to one of the three different indices resulted in the effect described with minimal overhead at runtime.

Give that a go, and don't hesitate to let us know about your GTT experience; we're always curious to see what jobs our little screens do and how they can do them better.

Thanks,
~Troy
Last edited by Clark on Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital

mpetty
LCD Geek

Post by mpetty »

Clark wrote:No worries Mike,

From a user standpoint the ability to change bargraph colours on the fly to suit the mood of the environment seems like a great idea so I have added it to the feature request list. Of course I know nothing of the coding or implementation nightmares I may have created, so I can't tell you if it will be accepted or not. I do know we have a few pressing issues with existing commands we'd like to fix up so it will probably be some time before Engineering is able to take a look at this one.

For now I've tried changing the drawing colour which of course has no effect, so I'll have to recommend creating a new bargraph for each new colour. I created a small demo in which I defined 3 graphs with identical parameters save for the foreground colour. Preforming an update to one the three different indices resulted in the effect described with minimal overhead at runtime.

Give that a go, and don't hesitate to let us know about your GTT experience; we're always curious to see what jobs our little screens do and how they can do them better.

Thanks,
~Troy
That is a good idea, and should only require minimal overhead in our software.

Edit: Is there any idea on a timeframe for a release of a beta firmware update, or what's planned for the next round?

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clark »

Hi Mike,

Glad the bargraph workaround will fit in your application, we are working on firmware updates for major issues to minimize these workarounds. I have a projected date from Engineering for the first round of major fixes, which I can say can be expected early next week. After the major issues are fixed we'll take a look at a first round of feature additions and any optimizations we can make for speed.

~Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital

mpetty
LCD Geek

Post by mpetty »

Clark wrote:Hi Mike,

Glad the bargraph workaround will fit in your application, we are working on firmware updates for major issues to minimize these workarounds. I have a projected date from Engineering for the first round of major fixes, which I can say can be expected early next week. After the major issues are fixed we'll take a look at a first round of feature additions and any optimizations we can make for speed.

~Troy
Thanks for the update. I'm anxiously awaiting the updated firmware.

We demo'd our prototype and sent out the videos and specification sheets to a number of customers, and we've received 40+ inquiries in response, and this is before our big conference in late October. We're pretty excited, and are really hopeful that this updated firmware solves some of our issues with speed, etc. Having to change displays this late in the game would be a bear.

Ray
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Ray »

I'd love to see what you are building! if you have spec sheets or video you'd want to share I'd love to see them! Seeing what customers do with our products is a great way for us to see what can can improve on and make the product even easier to use.

Now on perf, FW 1.01 update (just released) only addresses functional changes, So performance should be +- up to par with 1.0.0

If you are interested I'd be willing to send you a preliminary 1.02 update which has some of the perf improvements we have been working on (your random bars app showed a significant speed boost) if you're interested in this drop me an email (rmolenkamp at matrixorbital dot ca or use the email button below) and I'll get you hooked up.

mpetty
LCD Geek

Post by mpetty »

Ray wrote:I'd love to see what you are building! if you have spec sheets or video you'd want to share I'd love to see them! Seeing what customers do with our products is a great way for us to see what can can improve on and make the product even easier to use.

Now on perf, FW 1.01 update (just released) only addresses functional changes, So performance should be +- up to par with 1.0.0

If you are interested I'd be willing to send you a preliminary 1.02 update which has some of the perf improvements we have been working on (your random bars app showed a significant speed boost) if you're interested in this drop me an email (rmolenkamp at matrixorbital dot ca or use the email button below) and I'll get you hooked up.
Expect an email bright and early tomorrow. I am definitely excited for this, and potentially having the ability to draw some more of our screens that we have dreamed up...