Updated Drivers

GX and Typhoon hardware, this includes, displays, cables and accessory cards.

Moderator: Mods

Ray
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Updated Drivers

Post by Ray »

Given due to the number of request for the drivers we have in test and the feedback sofar I'm making them 'semi' public by putting them here for people to play with.

These should work on XP/Vista/Win7 in both x86 and x64 variants.

Be sure to remove the old software if you had it installed, after that you should be able to right click the device in the device manager and click update driver, point it to these and all good after that.

Once the driver is installed use the included LcdStudio to talk to the new driver.

If you (plan) to use the GX on Media portal copy the LibDriverCoreClient included in the zip file over top of the one that ships with media portal. And you should be good to go with that too.

If you run into any problems or have feedback feel free to share!

Currently known issues:
-The mce driver in lcdstudio fails to install properly and is not giving any readings from media center.

if there's updates I'll update this post.

Downloads:
gx3-25-feb.zip
Last edited by Ray on Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cjdoug
LCD?

Re: Updated Drivers

Post by cjdoug »

Quick question,

are these the steps to install the new drivers in a win 7 system ?

1. go to add remove programs and uninstall driver core 1.0
2. install gdx default in zip file.
3 install new lcd studio.
4. win!

let me know if these are not the steps to install the new drivers.

monsterman
LCD?

Post by monsterman »

What i did and it worked no problem:
Install the current released Drivercore_Release_build_97
then let it find your lcd.
add/remove programs and uninstall drivercore
navigate to device manager and right click on the gx lcd and update the driver. click browse for the driver and point it to the unzipped folder o the driver in this thread. let it update. then install the current lcdstudio that comes with the driver in this thread. You should be good to go now.

Aloha
LCD Guru

Post by Aloha »

Thanks, Ray for the new soft. We have been waiting for this update for very long time! :-)

I am currently on Windows 7, ultimate 64bit. I uninstalled drivercore software/service and the old driver. When the device manager found GX, I pointed it to your new driver, it is live now. Since I use it with MediaPortal only, I just copied your new LibDriverCoreClient.dll to my c:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\ folder. The display works with MP now, but when I try to run the MediaPortal Minidisplay configuration program, it crashes with "Failed to locate assembly MSASState..." error message. It my understanding that drivercore is no longer used with your new driver and MP Minidisplay crashes since it relies on drivercore. Could you confirm that, or we still can use drivercore? If yes, then how can we install it back without affecting your new driver? If no, then we should probably ask Chemelli to update the plugin.

Another annoying problem with wake from sleep is still there:
http://www.lcdforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=21856

This has nothing to do with MediaPortal. My GX simply never wakes up after sleep mode. The screen is black. IR LED is on (IR receiver was disabled manually). UMDF driver shows GX, but GXDefaults.exe and MP do not see it. Other USB devices I have wake up no problem. I have to cold reboot the PC to reactivate GX. Is there anything I shoud configure separetely?

Please help!
Last edited by Aloha on Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Aloha
LCD Guru

Post by Aloha »

Reversed back to original configuration and upgraded the driver only and LibDriverCoreClient.dll. Drivercore did not complain and minidisplay MP plugin did not complain. As I understand, applications can talk to the driver directly or through drivercore, correct?

By the way, new blinking Matrix Orbital logo looks way better then "waiting for application" message. Thank you.

Earlier I reported a problem with drivercore freezing if being idle for a long time. I am going to check if this problem is still there.

And sleep and wake problem is still there.

SteveFXDS
LCD?

Post by SteveFXDS »

I have just taken delivery of a Tricolour GX Typhoon MCE. Installation in Win 7 with the new drivers seems to have been OK and the display is working with LCD Studio.

My problem is that I don't have the LCD Defaults Configuration Utility on the desktop and I can't find any exe to run it. Without this I can't control colour, contrast, MCE receiver etc.

Any suggestions?

Cheers, Steve.

Aloha
LCD Guru

Post by Aloha »

Look for Tools\GXDefaults.exe inside gx3-25-feb.zip.

Does your display wake up from sleep mode?

SteveFXDS
LCD?

Post by SteveFXDS »

....ah obvious really. Thanks for the info.

Yes, the display does wake up from Sleep mode successfully.

Another question, if I may..... I assume that I have to run LCD studio at all times to show the saved playlist on the display. Having set it to run minimised in the system tray, I can't get LCD Studio to open in the foreground again. What's the 'obvious really' secret?

Cheers, Steve.

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clark »

Hi Steve,

I hope I'm not missing anything in the question, but running from the tray you should be able to double click or right click show the monitor icon hiding on the taskbar at the bottom right.

As for the sleep issue Aloha, this is a semi-official release as we're still working to get not only the software and the drivers but the firmware all cooperating to solve some of the issues that have been raised. Unfortunately, I just don't have an expected completion date.

Thanks guys,
~Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital

Aloha
LCD Guru

Post by Aloha »

First of all, I can confirm my display no longer locks when left idle for a long time - thank you for this fix!

I tried to experiment more with the wake problem. I was able to wake the display by disabling and enabling the Generic USB Hub where the GX is attached to. But, of course, this is just a tip, not a practical solution.

You didn't answer my question: are we supposed to keep the drivercore or not?

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clark »

My apologies Aloha,

Glad the fix works, DriverCore is no longer in use, so you it won't do anything if it's installed, but there's really no reason to keep it.

~Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital

Aloha
LCD Guru

Post by Aloha »

As I understand, current MediaPortal plugin still requires drivercore, so I have to keep it until Chemelli updates his plugin.

Please fix the wake up problem, otherwise I have to keep my PC running all the time. :-?

Ray
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Ray »

No driver core is no longer needed, but since media portal was written against it we supplied a compatibility dll that makes media portal happy with the new drivers. You can safely remove DriverCore completly.

Ray
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Ray »

Wake-up issues should be resolved by the included firmware update.

Aloha
LCD Guru

Post by Aloha »

Ray: according to Chemelli the API used in his MediaPortal pligin is strictly linked with the DriveCore. So if we want to remove the DriverCore dependence, he will need the SDK for the new driver. Is it possible to do it?