7MC functionality

GX and Typhoon hardware, this includes, displays, cables and accessory cards.

Moderator: Mods

keep
LCD?

7MC functionality

Post by keep »

Hi all. New GX Typhoon owner here. I replaced the poor quality imon oem unit in an Antec Fusion Black case with the Typhoon. Much better quality display!

Unfortunately my primary use is for Win 7 Media Center, so as I've discovered in these forums I'm pretty limited on what I can do with it in that regard. Am I missing any tricks or plugins to make it more functional with 7MC? I understand there are plans to add more functionality, but I haven't seen any updates on that lately. Is it still coming?

Thanks!

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clark »

Hi Keep,

It sounds like you have your GX installed and running, but just in case you're not quite there we did put together a guidefor Windows7, as I'm sure you've seen this can be a tricky process, for now.

Once you have everything installed, if possible, I'd recommend playing around with LCDStudio; the guide is in the post linked above. There are a few data options currently available for MCE but more importantly the easiest way to learn LCDStudio is by using it.

Finally, the rumors are true, we obviously read the forums, have seen that there are some tweaks required to the GX, and will be allotting time to do so in the near future. Unfortunately, I don't know what will be included, and no I don't have a date, but as soon as we have the details I'm sure you'll see them posted.

Thanks,
~Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital

keep
LCD?

Post by keep »

Hi Clark

Thanks for the quick reply. Sorry I wasn't more informative in my post. I was able to follow the guide you mentioned to get the LCD installed and working properly in Win 7. I have installed and used LCD Studio for about a week now. Once the cool factor of being able to dither images and load them wore off I started trying to get useful Media Center info to display. I am able to display things like what video is currently playing, but have run into the issue of that info not clearing after the video has stopped.

What I'm most interested in is a plugin that displays current and accurate info on what is playing, be it video files, tv channel and show title (just installed the awesome Ceton InfiniTV), DVD title, etc.

Any tips on this? Or is it just a matter of waiting for the update?

Thanks.

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clark »

Hi Keep,

No worries, I appreciate the update and understand where you're at. Unfortunately, I don't have any tips for clearing video information at this time, and see that this is not yet on our list of GX fixes. I imagine we'll be waiting for an update, but I'll have a look this weekend and let you know what I find.

Thanks,
~Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clark »

Hi Keep,

Unfortunately, I had a little trouble with MC this weekend, but I do have some tips for the more generic problem of starting and stopping different screens based on the programs running.

First, run your basic screen cycle in your playlist regular rotation; I have simple RSS feeds but you could add weather, network stats, etc.

Next set up an alert for when your program starts. MC gave me trouble, so I opened the AppMonitor in options and added starcraft.exe. Then I went back and added a basic system information screen to the alerts tab of my playlist, set the runtime ridiculously high (6000), and activated it when my AppMonitor for Starcraft running was true.

Finally, the tricky part, I created a second alert with a random screen, set run time to 0, and activated when the AppMonitor running was false. This clears my original alert screen when I exit Starcraft and goes back to the regular RSS rotation.

Give that a go, and please post any further questions that pop up.

Thanks,
~Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital

keep
LCD?

Post by keep »

I'll give that a try and let you know. Thanks!