Vista 64 users, don't give up on installing your GX Typhoon

GX and Typhoon hardware, this includes, displays, cables and accessory cards.

Moderator: Mods

orome
LCD?

Vista 64 users, don't give up on installing your GX Typhoon

Post by orome »

Built new rig and figured i'd give Vista a try after getting a good deal on Newegg (Yeah, I know Windows 7 is around the corner :D ).

Vista's been uneventful for most programs so far. Except the MO software suite for the GX.

I've owned an MO Mx213 and MX610; I actually didn't mind LCDC (surely appreciated the resposiveness of the poor guy that seems to single-handedly take all the emails), but the Typhoon software was a nightmare to install and run for me. I've traced the main culprit to Vista and just want to throw a couple of things to try if you're in the same boat i was in.

First: log on as administrator. In the program properties, under compatibility mode, set the program (Drivercore, lcdstudio) to run as administrator for all users. this Vista administrator crap and Windows Defender are the No. 1 reason i had problems, problems that Windows didn't make obvious (the programs just locked up mostly).

Also, follow the M.O. instructions regarding when to plug in the unit on install. It made a difference in older units, and it still does. In other words, don't close your case after you screw in that pretty little display unit. You'll probably have to unplug/plug it a couple of times.

I understand that the lack of a digital signature for lcdstudio may be at the root of many problems for Vista 64. M.O. has a signed version of the software linked in the forums. See if installing that version cures your woes.

Don't give up. The M.O. instructions (such as they are :-? and forums will get you there, especially if you're a little more savvy than i am (which isn't hard). Once you get the software installed and get the unit to post a message that the display is ready (meaning your hardware's fine), Lcdstudio is a joy to use compared to LCDC and the unit is pretty cool.

If lcdstudio is working properly, you should be able to configure a basic screen in less than a minute. I'll use a simple "average cpu load" screen as an example. note: if all is well, all the changes you make on the test screen should immediately post on the Typhoon display as well.

1) if not automatically doing it yet, run LcdStudio as administrator.

2) Open/new/display. lcdstudio should give you a green screen on a black background. (could be a different screen color, i suppose. double-click on the rectangle and change colors in the "properties" tab, lower left corner)
I'll call this the test screen to differentiate if from the screen on the Typhoon display unit.

3) click and drag "TTF" from Toolbox/Main Widgets menu to the "test" screen (that's the location where the display will post your labels/custom text) note: :nono: you can't input your text directly onto the lcdstudio test screen, you have to: right click the "my text" field on the test screen; go to the "properties" tab under tools menu; click on "my text" in the "misc." submenu and enter it there by double-clicking the bold "My Text" field.

4) bottom tab "data view": click and drag: system information/cpu/load/average onto the test screen.

5) from Toolbox, click and drag a gauge or bar graphic to wherever you want your display to post it. you can configure the gauge/bar graph by right-clicking it and going to the properties tab in lower left corner (this goes for most items you drag onto the test screen).

6) from the data view menu, click and drag the same system information/cpu/load/average right ONTO the gauge/bar graph you just dragged onto the test screen.

7) you should have a screen that reflects the average cpu load numerically and graphically (through the gauge/bar graph).

save and load the screen, and it should go to your display.

to rotate between different screens, they'll have to be created (that's where the "fun" is) , then saved onto a new playlist: file/new/playlist. There, you add the screens you want in rotation. go to tools/options/startup to tell the software to play the playlist at startup, and your playlist should automatically send the screens you've created to the display when you sign on.

Hope this helps a little. I wrote this solely out of consideration for those who may follow. If my guide's deficient - and it shouldn't be critically deficient - the defect should be easily remedied. After all, if you're messing with this unit, you're probably not modding a $500 Dell :wink:

That's it. I could write an installation guide if I truly felt confident i could replicate the results with ease, but, sadly, i don't. it took perserverance and a lot of monkeying around in Windows Defender's alternate reality. It shouldn't be such a pain in this day and age, but be ready.

Hope this helps a little.

system: Asus mb w/x58 chipset i7 920/ Vista Ultimate 64-bit/AMD/Ati 4890 in Crossfire.[/i]