GX Typhoon Not getting power - appears to be DOA

GX and Typhoon hardware, this includes, displays, cables and accessory cards.

Moderator: Mods

hip63
LCD?

GX Typhoon Not getting power - appears to be DOA

Post by hip63 »

I have it plugged into a tested on a known working USB header on the motherboard but I am not any display at all.

I also tried using the "standard" usb cable, no change, still no power.

It is not showing up in device manager at all and no "hit" is seen in device manage whe plugging in the usb cable.

I tried the unit on a second machine, same results.

The unit appears to be dead. :nono:

Am I missing something here? :roll:

If it is in fact a lemon and being I bought it thru a third party vendor, who would I need to contact for an RMA or exchange, your guys or the vendor?

The unit was purchased at the end of March 2009.

hip63 :grr:

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clark »

Hi Hip63,

Sorry to hear that your GX is not powering up for you yet. Before you despair, please make sure you've followed downloaded the latest software pack and followed all the instructions in the guide. If you are able to get power to the device, but are still having trouble, please check out the link at the bottom of this post.

If you have any further questions, or still can't get that unit to light up, please put up another post and I'll be able to help you out or get you started on an RMA.

Thanks,
~Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

Who did you buy the display from?
Henry J.
President
Matrix Orbital

hip63
LCD?

Post by hip63 »

Purchased at CrazyPc.com

hip63

hip63
LCD?

Post by hip63 »

I have tried the above suggestions, but to avail...

The only machine the I can get any reaction out of the unit is to hook it up to my HP laptop. On the laptop I get a very occasional blink from a red LED located behind the IR receiver but that's it. It's not see by the laptop in device manager. I tried installing the software but no effect. The LCD Studio software doesn't see it. Neither does the firmware updater. Nothing is recognizing the unit. The screen has not lit up, not even once, all I can get is the occasionally flashing red LED and then only on the laptop. Three other desktops don't even get the red LED.

Still looking DOA to me...

hip63

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

e-mail support@matrixorbital.ca and they will begin a RMA for you. We do not need anymore new threads on this.
Henry J.
President
Matrix Orbital

ImaginaryFriend
LCD?

Re: GX Typhoon Not getting power - appears to be DOA

Post by ImaginaryFriend »

hip63 wrote:I have it plugged into a tested on a known working USB header on the motherboard but I am not any display at all.

I also tried using the "standard" usb cable, no change, still no power.

It is not showing up in device manager at all and no "hit" is seen in device manage whe plugging in the usb cable.

I tried the unit on a second machine, same results.

The unit appears to be dead. :nono:

Am I missing something here? :roll:

If it is in fact a lemon and being I bought it thru a third party vendor, who would I need to contact for an RMA or exchange, your guys or the vendor?

The unit was purchased at the end of March 2009.

hip63 :grr:
i'm having the same problem, having just recieved the unit today. tried both internal/ external connection, which i know to work properly, to no avail. is it a DOA or am i doing something wrong? i bought it from performance-pcs.com.

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clark »

Hello Imaginary,

Sorry to hear you are having some trouble getting your new GX to boot up.

First, I have to recommend the standard troubleshooting stuff; try a different cable (I would stick to external for now), and try a different computer. Wait for the computer to boot up, plug in the GX, and you should see a driver notification pop up to guide you through installation.

In addition, if you can, locate a standard floppy cable from a power supply (yellow, black, black, and red wiring) to apply power directly to the alternate power header of your GX. You should see the screen come up, and hopefully the driver installation comes up when you connect the USB cable.

If you could let us know if you see the screen come up or the IR LED blink during any of these processes this would also aid in our diagnosis.

Thanks,
~Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital

ImaginaryFriend
LCD?

Post by ImaginaryFriend »

yup tried both methods. first i used the internal cable. no luck. then i used an external cable which i know to work (i use this cable to plug my wireless adaptor in usually). no luck. then i tried the floppy + usb method u suggested. still no dice. tried all methods both before and after windows boot up. and yup, no luck. not even the red light. i really hope this thing would work as i live in australia and it's gonna cost me more than the unit itself to return it. plz help!

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clark »

Thanks Imaginary,

I'll take your info and start looking at an RMA for that unit, a PM with details should be in your inbox now.

~Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital