GX Typhoon not Working

GX and Typhoon hardware, this includes, displays, cables and accessory cards.

Moderator: Mods

mrpayne
LCD!

GX Typhoon not Working

Post by mrpayne »

I've had a random issue with LCDstudio thinking the display was the wrong size on and off for a while. Typically this would clear up with a reboot, as of today this isn't working. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the drivercore (no change). If I start LCDstudio and try to design a new design a display twice the height pops up. When I try to use the display wizard no display is found. The only thing on the display at this point is "Display is ready, waiting for application"
Last edited by mrpayne on Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ray
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Ray »

Make sure you run all versions from the software pack, running different versions will give problems like you are having.

mrpayne
LCD!

Post by mrpayne »

All files are from the August 2008 download. Is there a config file or registry entry to check?

mrpayne
LCD!

Post by mrpayne »

I uninstalled drivercore and LCD studio. At this time the GX would display on the screen with the box running. Reinstalled Drivercore, and LCD studio, at this time the display would give me the "waiting for application" msg. None of the LCDinfo displays come up. I disabled drivercore and reflashed the unit bios (thinking maybe it is corrupted). No change. I LCDstudio display wizard it does list all the possible displays, I pick the GX, and start a new design I get the oversized display again.
Do I need to RMA this unit? I've had it less then 2 months.

Ray
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Ray »

You can't corrupt the units bios. The units checks the integrity of the FW at power up, if its corrupted it will fire up the Firmware Upgrade device code instead of the normal firmware.

The Fact that the unit is showing "waiting for applications" is a good thing, it means that the hardware is ok, Drivers are loaded ok and that the drivercore service is actually talking to the display (its the one that actually generates the message)

Can you validate the LcdInfo process is runing? Or kill and restart it to see if that makes it want to talk to Drivercore.

mrpayne
LCD!

Post by mrpayne »

Killed Lcdinfo from task mgr "Processes". No effect.
Restarted Lcdinfo from the Matrix Orbital Driver folder, No effect (it was listed in the Processes screen again).
When asked about a "welcome msg" what is the msg? In my case the only thing I see is the Display is Ready! msg.
Also I did unplug and replug the USB connection, did not change anything.
One more tidbit, originally I had to shut down driver core to run the GX config, at this time the GX config is accessible with drivercore running. (go figure)

At this point I have a device using power, taking space, and not providing me any data.

mrpayne
LCD!

Post by mrpayne »

Bump,
At this point I've removed all the software, removed drivers (via hardware panel check tab).
The display shows the GX logo.
Looking for suggestions, Vista64U

I reinstalled drivers (complete set) display is back to showing: Display is Ready! Waiting for Applications.

Ray
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Ray »

Did you by anychance block the drivercore service in your firewall (port 9984)? can you see if 'telnet 127.0.0.1 9984' actually connects or fails to connect?

mrpayne
LCD!

Post by mrpayne »

That worked, thanks for the pointer.
The short story is the MS closed access to the box with a patch.
The fix was to rewrite my hosts file.
To figure this out I had to install the telnet client and fail to connect.
Link for info on the issue and possible fixes
http://www.microsoft.com/security/porta ... 7027806866
I'll find some time and write a faq on this issue, you may want to "sticky" it once done.