vista 64 help

GX and Typhoon hardware, this includes, displays, cables and accessory cards.

Moderator: Mods

dingo8baby
LCD?

vista 64 help

Post by dingo8baby »

sigh... i really was hoping by now, 64bit support for everything wouldn't be such a chore. Sadly, i was mistaken. My plan is to switch to 32bit Windows 7 once it comes out hopefully later this year.

But for now, i'm stuck with 64bit OS, and i'd like to see if i can get some help.

The only thing i need the GX to do for now is display the time (no problem there) and to function as a IR reciever.

The latter is the source of my frustration. The IR will work for anywhere from a few hours to a whole day, and then will inexplicably stop working. Even if i plug in another WMC IR receiver, WMC is completely unresponsive to my WMC remote. I can see the red led light up when i press buttons on the remote, but nothing happens. The only way i can get the remote to work again is by restarting the computer.

This is my HTPC, so having the remote randomly not working and requiring a restart every day completely ruins my HTPC experience.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Ray
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Ray »

When the IR is unresponsive, does it come back to life when you unplug your GX and plug it back in?

dingo8baby
LCD?

Post by dingo8baby »

Ray wrote:When the IR is unresponsive, does it come back to life when you unplug your GX and plug it back in?
I haven't tried that since the lcd is connected to an internal USB header on the motherboard. I can try that next time it happens.

dingo8baby
LCD?

Post by dingo8baby »

ok, unplugging it and plugging it back in does solve the problem, however taking the case apart and unplugging/plugging is more of a hassle than restarting.

dingo8baby
LCD?

Post by dingo8baby »

So am I pretty much SOL until i go back to 32bit?

Ray
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Ray »

Not quite sure yet, I'm trying to reproduce the issue so i can atleast make a somewhat informed guess on whats going on, however i have been unsuccessfull sofar.

The issue of not responding to other recievers that have been plugged in seems to be an issue in the microsoft IR driver, this by the looks of it has been fixed in win7.

just to rule out some other possible causes, make sure the remote batteries are properly charged and that you're running the lastest firmware available in the aug'08 software pack.

Another thing that could be interesting to try is when the GX stops responding to IR go into the device manager and disable the "eHome Infrared Receiver (USBCIR)" device listed under "Universal serial bus controllers" and enable it again right away. If there are multiple listed look for the one with USB\VID_1B3D&PID_000B&REV_0200&MI_01 as hardware ID in the property pages.

dingo8baby
LCD?

Post by dingo8baby »

well, i had a stand alone microsoft usb ir receiver that i used for about 6 months or more before i got the GX, and i never had a problem with it before.

disabling the device and re-enabling it did not work, however it prompted me to restart after disable and enable, which i ignored. I did notice the device had two hardware id's, if that means anything.
VID_1B3D&PID_000B&REV_0200&MI_01
and
VID_1B3D&PID_000B&MI_01

The batteries are fine and i got the driver pack from this link: http://www.matrixorbital.ca/software/GX ... 8_rev1.zip

thanks for helping me with this.

Ray
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Ray »

The test computer just survived its second night without problems, what software are you running for the GX? just Lcdinfo (clock,cpu graph, mce) or also some lcdstudio designs?

dingo8baby
LCD?

Post by dingo8baby »

i attached the playlist and design file i currently use.

I am running vista 64 on this hardware:
Gigabyte MA69gm-s2h motherboard, amd x2 4800,
gigabyte GV-NX86S256H(8600gts), antec neohe 500W,
4GB OCZ platinum ddr2800, samsung dvd burner

there isn't too much software installed on the rig, Steam, Firefox, Utorrent, VLC, ffdshow, DVD Decrypter....
Attachments
xpl.zip
lcdstudio files
(1.29 KiB) Downloaded 415 times

dingo8baby
LCD?

Post by dingo8baby »

well, i finally gave up and switched to windows 7 beta (32bit, natch). are there any beta drivers for w7? The ir works great, im just stuck right now looking at the default gx logo on the display.

Ray
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Ray »

Default drivers should work fine else grab a copy of the win7 beta driver from here

dingo8baby
LCD?

Post by dingo8baby »

sweet, the beta drivers worked! so far, so good. Thanks for all your help !

dingo8baby
LCD?

Post by dingo8baby »

well, it happened again. It's Windows 7, so i don't expect any support yet, but just to let you know, it seems to only happen after a scheduled recording, but not every time. But it's only happened once on the windows 7 setup, so that's much better than the every (other) day on Vista 64