Hardware Recognition issues in Vista 64

GX and Typhoon hardware, this includes, displays, cables and accessory cards.

Moderator: Mods

Chronikas
LCD?

Hardware Recognition issues in Vista 64

Post by Chronikas »

Hi there!
Having some problems with my new gx typhoon. I downloaded the "Aug 2008 Rev 1" drivers and firmware posted on the site. The drivers seemed to install with no problem, and I immediately saw the color changes and cpu load/time display cycle oft mentioned in the forums. I can even get lcd studio to recognize the display (sometimes) and let me make a customised design. However, if my computer is idle for any amount of time the display locks up. Also, I cannot get the lcd default configurator or the firmware upgrader to recognize my device. I currently have the GC connected to a motherboard hearder to female usb cable attached to the included mini usb. I have ordered the internal cable that matrix reccommends but it has not yet arrived. I doubt however, that the cable is the issue if I can get as far as I did. Any ideas?

Ray
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Ray »

If you restart the DriverCore Service in the services panel does the display come back alive? (Right click my computer->manage)

Could you try stopping the service and trying the defaults or firmware upgrade application? Also your GX should have already shipped with the latest firmware (the update program will tell you your current version in the first screen) if you had an older version could you please let me know?

Chronikas
LCD?

Post by Chronikas »

Thank you for the quick reply! Before posting I had uninstalled the drivers and unplugged the unit. I have just plugged the screen back in and reinstalled the drivers. (This may be notable as well, the original driver installation does not work properly, I have to install it again through device manager.) The error listed is "Device is not configure properly (Code 1)." Anyway, after all that I'm back where I was before posting, so I tried what you asked. I stopped the drivercore service, still the configuration utility comes up blank, as well as the firmware. I tried restarting it as well with the same result. I'm starting to hope that it is my usb connection that is the problem, cuz I'm all out of software ideas. But from what I read, you're the man for the job, so what's next?

Ray
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Ray »

as last resort, right click the device in the device manager and select remove, be sure to check the 'remove software' checkbox too when it asks, and unplug the device.

After that plug it back in and point it to the drivercore\drivers folder when it asks for drivers.

If you have doubts about your cable see if you can find a regular A to mini B cable somewhere, its a fairly common cable and comes with alot of camera's, mp3 players etc etc.

If the device is still giving you grief, right click the device in the device manager , click properties and head over to the details tab and copy the hardware id's (you can use ctrl-c in that dialog to copy the selected ones to the clipboard so you don't have to type those nasty codes) and paste 'm here.

Chronikas
LCD?

Post by Chronikas »

I removed the device according to your instructions. It asked me to reboot, I shut off the pc and unplugged the device. I then rebooted and plugged it back in once Vista was idle. I pointed the device installer to the DriverCore folder and it recognized and installed the device. The screen iteslf appears to be running fine as before...I get the "Drivercore is Idle" message, along with the cycling through colors, time, and cpu load displays. However, the GX default configure utility can still not find my device, nor can the firmware upgrade application. When I run either, the window comes up blank with no device to select. The hardware ID's are as follows...

USB\VID_1B3D&PID_000A&REV_0200&MI_00
USB\VID_1B3D&PID_000A&MI_00

Chronikas
LCD?

Post by Chronikas »

Oh, and by the way my cable came in so it is hooked up with the matrix orbital internal usb cord.

Chronikas
LCD?

Post by Chronikas »

Sorry for the multiple posts, but I had some additional information that I thought might help. The date of the GX drivers in my device manager say 3/5/2008, I just thought that was odd considering the package I downloaded is listed as August '08. Also, I don't think I have the most recent firmware because my display doesn't shut off with my computer. I'm pretty sure I read in the forums that issue had been fixed in the most recent firmware. Again, sorry for the multiple posts, just trying to give you as much info as possible that I thought might help.

Thanks!

Ray
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Ray »

Given the fact that it displays the clock and all seems hardware/driverwise its all good. Could you stop the driverCore service and then run the defaults firmware upgrade applcation?

Chronikas
LCD?

Post by Chronikas »

Tried stopping it again, this time it worked! I was able to use the default configuration setup as well as firmware installation. The device was clearly shipped with the old firmware btw. Everything is pretty much running smoothly now. My only hiccup left is putting my computer into sleep mode, when I "wake" the computer, the display seems stuck on the last frame shown before suspending the system. Not the biggest deal in the world since my gf is an eco-facist and bugs me to shut it completely off to save electricity. It still irks me, but I can live with it. (Unless of course your infinite wisdom knows how to solve the supsend issue too) <:) Either way, thanks Ray, you made me glad I bought the device after all.