Thinking of buying GX Typhoon Tricolor

GX and Typhoon hardware, this includes, displays, cables and accessory cards.

Moderator: Mods

garethuk
LCD?

Thinking of buying GX Typhoon Tricolor

Post by garethuk »

Hello everyone - I was thinking of buying a Tricolor Typhoon to replace the lcd that came with my Antec case. I have a few questions before I purchase the item.

1) Are there any problems with Windows automatically going into sleep mode? My current device prevents windows from automatically "going to sleep" as it is constantly sending data to the display?

2) Are there any outstanding issues with the device? For example the Antec lcd / which is really a stripped down iMon device, will randomly freeze until the machine is completely powered down

3) Has anyone swapped the lcd that comes with the Antec Fusion Black for this hardware? Do the holes on the back of the GX Typhoon line up easily?

4) How good is the "out of the box" Vista Media Center integration?

I really appreciate anyone taking the time to answer any of these questions. They would make the difference between me buying or not!

Ray
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Re: Thinking of buying GX Typhoon Tricolor

Post by Ray »

garethuk wrote:Hello everyone - I was thinking of buying a Tricolor Typhoon to replace the lcd that came with my Antec case. I have a few questions before I purchase the item.

1) Are there any problems with Windows automatically going into sleep mode? My current device prevents windows from automatically "going to sleep" as it is constantly sending data to the display?
This should work fine, however I have to admit it is not a scenario we extensivly tested.
2) Are there any outstanding issues with the device? For example the Antec lcd / which is really a stripped down iMon device, will randomly freeze until the machine is completely powered down
Not that I am aware of, and since it is possible to give out firmware updates any issues that may come up can be addressed.
3) Has anyone swapped the lcd that comes with the Antec Fusion Black for this hardware? Do the holes on the back of the GX Typhoon line up easily?
The mounting holes are matching our mounting bracket for the GX, if they line up with the antec fusion mounting holes its pure coincedience so I'm gonna assume they don't line up , but hey i have been wrong before :)
4) How good is the "out of the box" Vista Media Center integration?

I really appreciate anyone taking the time to answer any of these questions. They would make the difference between me buying or not!
It comes with some default designs which you can't see without the actual hardware but there is some intergration within lcdstudio as well which does work without having actual hardware present. You can download the software and play with it from here

garethuk
LCD?

Post by garethuk »

Thanks so much for your reply and the link to the software. I am very close to buying but the sleep mode thing is a dealmaker.

Surely there are other HTPC owners who use windows power settings to automatically enter Sleep mode after a period of inactivity? Is this something that could be tested at your office? -> The option is Control Panel > Power Options > Change Plan Settings > Put Computer to sleep

I am hoping that someone can test this for me. If I knew it worked I'd be buying right now.

Thanks again for everyone's help.