Backlighting

GX and Typhoon hardware, this includes, displays, cables and accessory cards.

Moderator: Mods

braineater
LCD Geek

Backlighting

Post by braineater »

I'm not sure if this is harware or software but I'll post it here.

I am curious about the operation of the gx's backlight.

I know the color data is set by 'lcd defaults configuration utility'.

I assume the backlight color will be adjustable 'on-the-fly' at some point by lcdstudio..Where is this data kept ?

The reason I ask , is I'd like some way to syncronize some external R/g/b LED's to the backlight , Ideally using the pwm controller/s on the soon-to-be-released addon card.

Any thoughts ?

Ray
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Ray »

The 'default/power on' backlight setting is stored in a small memory chip on the GX its selve, if any application (such as lcdstudio) sets the backlight its only kept in ram of the GX.

In our internal version of drivercore we have some functions you can call to obtain the backlight settings for your session or the default ones stored in the memory chip, but no 'whats is the backliight right now regardless of session' but that shouldn't be too hard to add.

braineater
LCD Geek

Post by braineater »

Ok cool.

I guess my next question would be ;

Are the backlights controlled by PWM ? (i'm assuming yes , but i should make sure. =) )

Ray
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Ray »

Yes they are but thats totally seperate from the add-on cards though, its not like if someone sets the backlight the PWM add-on card will also respond to it.

braineater
LCD Geek

Post by braineater »

Thanks for the fast responses Ray !

I had a feeling if it was PWM it would be a separate controller not readily accessable.......

I was asking because one method I am considering is just 'piggybacking' off of the backlight LED's , and I was curious what to expect.

braineater
LCD Geek

Post by braineater »

Unless there's a better idea of course. :D

If I do decide to piggyback from the backlights , Would it be possible to get the specs for the backlight LED's and or schematics ?

braineater
LCD Geek

Post by braineater »

I have made a good start on the case lights.

I started by making some 'lightbars' . These are made from 3mm superbright L.E.D.'s....red,green and blue , pigtailed and harness'd ;

Next , I need a simple controller till these suckers get PWM'd via the GX ; So I made one......

:D

Full color caselights :

:wink: