Correction needed on the GX page

GX and Typhoon hardware, this includes, displays, cables and accessory cards.

Moderator: Mods

cipher_nemo
LCD Geek

Correction needed on the GX page

Post by cipher_nemo »

On your web site, you list the GX typhoon as having "255 levels of software controlled contrast" on this page: http://www.matrixorbital.com/gx.php. I assume you meant levels of backlight control instead, since there are only 35 steps of contrast.

Paradigm
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Paradigm »

While the software might only provide access to 35 levels, rest assured that the display is capable of 256 levels of contrast. In fact, this is also just a firmware limitation. The hardware could even provide up to 65,536 levels of contrast. I hear you ask, why don't we pass that "feature" along to our valued customers? Because it's absolutely pointless. There isn't much perceptual difference above 32 or 64 levels anyway, let alone with 256 or more. Be happy with the 35, or I'll take 5 more away in the next software revision. <:)

To head off the next question. Yes, the backlight also has 255 levels of brightness. For each colour. Independently.
James McTavish, P.Eng
Director of Engineering
Matrix Orbital

cipher_nemo
LCD Geek

Post by cipher_nemo »

Paradigm wrote:To head off the next question. Yes, the backlight also has 255 levels of brightness. For each colour. Independently.
Unless it's the blue & white, inverted display. ;) The page does mention "software controlled", so you guys might want to change that until software is able to control it (ie: DriverCore can't control contrast at all, and the included Configuration utility only controls 35 levels). :)

I don't care much about the capabilities, because I already own one and love it, but it might be nice to be accurate on your only web page for it. Thanks.

Ray
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Ray »

I Checked both the Firmware and Configuration application everything is setup for 255 levels, don't have a GX nearby for visual inspection but how did you come to 35?

And the configuration utility that allows you to set is software right? It's not like we make you mess with jumpers to set the contrast. But don't worry per session contrast support is coming to DriverCore (you will never be allowed to mess with any other sessions then your own though)

cipher_nemo
LCD Geek

Post by cipher_nemo »

Ray wrote:...but how did you come to 35?
From LibDriverCoreClient, the DCCSession.Device.ContrastSteps property reports an int of 35. The LCD Defaults Configuration Utility just has a slider, but doesn't report actual value. Backlight steps are reported as 255, as they should be, so I trusted this value. I can't test it since controlling the contrast is currently a non-implemented feature in DriverCore.

I have the blue & white inverted model, though, not the Tricolor one.

Ray
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Ray »

That was some left over testing code, it also had contrast type set to none, so that wouldn't make sense either (both fixed as for this moment). And since you are poking around in that area I am aware that the backlight report you are getting is wrong :)

cipher_nemo
LCD Geek

Post by cipher_nemo »

Yup, I noticed my Blue/White was reporting RGB. No problem, though. :)