GX Typhoon disassembled and painted

GX and Typhoon hardware, this includes, displays, cables and accessory cards.

Moderator: Mods

cipher_nemo
LCD Geek

GX Typhoon disassembled and painted

Post by cipher_nemo »

I removed my GX Typhoon (Blue/White model) from the bay (black) for painting of the bay's front to match my PC's color scheme. I took quite a few photos of it for my mod, and seeing that MO doesn't have that much info about its appearance on their site, I thought it might be nice to share some of them here. I reduced their resolutions to 540 pixels wide to be forum-friendly. :)

LCD unit mounted inside its 5.25" drive bay holder:

Disassembled:

Rear view of the board with its connections. If my labeling is wrong, please let me know and I'll update the image:

Side view that barely shows the other layer of silicon-mounted components:

The default image on the GX upon power-on, but before its drivers load, is the GX logo. If yours has some pixel areas that are brighter than others, this is because of the stock contrast setting. Install the drivers, hook it up to USB, and run the configuration tool to set the contrast. Here's the logo:

A simple 2-bit image I created to test:

MO puts a protective plastic sheet in between the LCD unit and the 5.25" bay mount. Painted front:

The protective plastic has a layer of glue-like double-sided tape to make a seal around the LCD screen. I assume this helps keep dust from getting in between the LCD screen and the protective plastic. I don't like the idea of sticky tape, so I've put a layer of soft, foam, weather stripping in here. It can compress almost flat without getting in the way, so it allows me to keep the stock screws and plastic washers.

The 5.25" bay holder as compared in size to a standard DVD drive. This is a smaller size 5.25" optical drive, not the longer, old-school CD drives of the 90s:

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

Pretty slick!
Henry J.
President
Matrix Orbital

cipher_nemo
LCD Geek

Post by cipher_nemo »

Here's a few updated photos of the GX LCD installed in my mod. The mod PC is almost complete.

Talamakara
LCD?

Post by Talamakara »

Ive done some modding in my time and i have to admit that looks really good.

cipher_nemo
LCD Geek

Post by cipher_nemo »

Thanks. :)

It is my third mod. By mod, I mean complete mod with cutting, Dremel work, painting, etc. I've done little mods on PCs since the early 90s.

I love the GX line, so I'll be using it for both my own, personal mods, and possibly in greater quantities for LAN events and such.