How to edit XML files?

GX and Typhoon hardware, this includes, displays, cables and accessory cards.

Moderator: Mods

Aloha
LCD Guru

How to edit XML files?

Post by Aloha »

I manually edited some of the xml files in c:\Program Files\Matrix Orbital DriverCore\Resources\240x64x1\default\mce\ folder. I used a Windows notepad, and it's a real pain! Is there another editing tool available?

Ray
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Ray »

It pretty much boils down to taste, there soo many XML editors out there I'd say try a few and stick with the one you like.

Aloha
LCD Guru

Post by Aloha »

I already tried an xml editor XMLCooktop 2.5, but I am not sure if an XML editor can give me the screen preview (like in LCDStudio).

And another question: Will I be able to include some third party information into these XML files? For example, I would like to add the SpeedFan temperature and the CPU load. What would be the syntax?

Ray
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Ray »

You can't add extra information to it. Lcdinfo is a limited application there to get going quickly with the GX, it's not intended to be a as versatile or extensible as Lcd Studio.

Changes in the xml files should be picked up as soon as you save them though giving you a near realtime preview on your lcd.

Aloha
LCD Guru

Post by Aloha »

Then there is no difference if I use notepad or XML editor because you can't move, resize, etc. I hope the LCDStudio plugin will be ready soon, but in the meantime I am attaching my set of xml files for those who are interested. I am not saying they are perfect (I have no documentation, just guessing), but at least I can better utilize the screen space. I got rid of frames and made the font bigger so you could see from a distance. And also I show current time instead of some static screens. To install just overwrite your xml files in c:\Program Files\Matrix Orbital DriverCore\Resources\240x64x1\default\mce\ (you may want to backup your original files first).

Ray: what is the purpose of "Weather" folder?

And I also noticed that all my divx and mov files show 0 for the "videos-duration" variable in videos-play.xml. Is this a bug by any chance?
Attachments
240x64x1.zip
(131.56 KiB) Downloaded 348 times

Ray
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Ray »

The weather folder is not used at the moment, the 0 duration is MCE not begin able to figure out how long your video's are, I'll look into it again but am farily sure it was a bug on the MS side.