GX IR questions

GX and Typhoon hardware, this includes, displays, cables and accessory cards.

Moderator: Mods

Aloha
LCD Guru

Post by Aloha »

I can't see the IR blaster connector on the attached pictures. Isn't it a small round female phone jack?

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

alentsa wrote:I can't see the IR blaster connector on the attached pictures. Isn't it a small round female phone jack?
The IR Blaster is an addon card that will attach to the back of the display and then to a PCI slot.
Henry J.
President
Matrix Orbital

Aloha
LCD Guru

Post by Aloha »

Henry wrote:
alentsa wrote:I can't see the IR blaster connector on the attached pictures. Isn't it a small round female phone jack?
The IR Blaster is an addon card that will attach to the back of the display and then to a PCI slot.
So the IR Blaster cable is plugged into a PCI card and there is also a cable running from the PCI card to the back of the display. Is this IR Blaster PCI card included? If not, is it available separately?

Dgephri
LCD Guru

Post by Dgephri »

weren't the PreOrders supposed to get the USB cable with the order?

I just got mine (niiiice BTW) and I realize you now used the MiniB 5pin?

I used to crimp my own USB headers at .1" plug ends.

All my experiend with MiniB 5pins is that i can't splice a Motherboard header plug in properly.

Does the Typhoon use the 5th wire? Or will Red/White/Green/Black will work to connect the motherboard side?

Aloha
LCD Guru

Post by Aloha »

I think since the display always goes INSIDE the case, MO should supply INTERNAL cable first, and external should be optional.

Clare
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clare »

Hi, I will answer your questions.

No the pre-orders were not supposed to come with an internal USB cable.

Edit: I think they come with an external USB cable. I am trying to find out.

I am also looking in your other question about the 5th wire.

As far as offering the internal instead of the external with the display I have passed along your comments.

Thank you!
Clare

Clare
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clare »

Ok, GX comes with display, mounting bracket and external USB cable. :) Clare

Dgephri
LCD Guru

Post by Dgephri »

;) I had to dig out a PSP cable that I knew would work. I know PreOrders aren't going to be full manual/cd, etc.

Perhaps an Order Option for Internal vs. external?

PS: info on the wire pinout to motherboard would be immensely helpful. I show off and compete with my PC, so neatness in wiring is essential.

BTW, I love the new unit, but miss some LCDC tricks I knew.

Aloha
LCD Guru

Post by Aloha »

They do not connect one pin:

http://pinouts.ru/Slots/USB_pinout.shtml

Also MO might consider adding the 4 pin header. The pads are there on the PCB and the header soldered on the prototype, but I guess for the mass production the header for some reason was not attached. The simple internal 4-pin cable is cheaper. For the external cable you will have to drill a hole in your case or header bracket. Why do they want us to use a bulky and more expensive external cable?
Last edited by Aloha on Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dgephri
LCD Guru

Post by Dgephri »

good eyes, I will have to check for the 4pin header stubs on my unit. I might just solder on my own Header.

I greatly prefer motherboard internal USB and even converted a BlueTooth Mouse/Keyboard hub to run internally with the .1" pin headers.

Aloha
LCD Guru

Post by Aloha »

If you solder on your header (even where it is supposed to be), will this void your warranty?

Dgephri
LCD Guru

Post by Dgephri »

in Modding, my way at least, almost every warranty is voided sooner rather than later.

G-15: torn apart, voided
Revolution: torn apart, voided
8800GTX: watercooled, voided
motherboard: Overclocked, voided
CPU: Overclocked, voided

Not recommended for everybody. ;)

Aloha
LCD Guru

Post by Aloha »

Dgephri: could you post a few pictures with your GX taken apart? One thing I don't like: there is little bit of black sticky material in the front of my unit along the edges of the big square slot left exposed. It will probably trap some dust, and it doesn't look nice. I wonder if there is a simple way to get rid or it.

But I would wait for the confirmation if our problems are sofware, not hardware before taking it apart. You may need to send it back :cry:

Dgephri
LCD Guru

Post by Dgephri »

I noticed the same thing, and although I haven't separated the PCBs from the mounting tray yet, I imagine it's some sort of protective mask around the IR port/mount.

This unit is attached to the faceplate alot better than the previous generation of MX units (just four bolts on the old ones IIRC).

Let me see what I can do in the next couple days to highlight what that is.

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

alentsa wrote:I think since the display always goes INSIDE the case, MO should supply INTERNAL cable first, and external should be optional.
It's simple, the external cable is safer, since you don't have to worry about polarity of the cable being connected to the motherboard. So based on MX experience, the external cable is default.
Henry J.
President
Matrix Orbital