HTPC hardware advice

GX and Typhoon hardware, this includes, displays, cables and accessory cards.

Moderator: Mods

wolf359
LCD?

HTPC hardware advice

Post by wolf359 »

Hi There;

I'm currently building a custom home theater PC and wanted to add some displays to make it fit in with other home entertainment items. I'm attaching some pictures of the front panel so you can see what I'm working with. My idea so far is to have 2 displays in the unit. The first display would be on all the time (even when the HTPC is powered down). For this display I wanted to have things like the current time displayed and also a couple of indicators for things like power on etc.

The second display I wanted to mount into the 3 1/2 drive bay. This display I wanted to show graphical data, like an equalizer display, stereo or 5.1 indicator etc etc. I also wanted one of the displays to indicate CPU load and system temp.

The first display sits behind a smoked panel, the second display has no such cover. The dimensions for display 1 are 80x30mm, there is also a 3rd screen that sits below this one in the centre and the dimensions for this area are 45x15mm. I would consider 3 displays, but thought this might be over the top. Could you help with some suggestions of possible displays please and any other equipment I'm likely to need.

Thanks for your help.

Mark
Attachments
media-back.JPG
media-back.JPG (225.48 KiB) Viewed 3272 times
media-front.JPG
media-front.JPG (229.56 KiB) Viewed 3272 times
Ordinarily I am insane. However, I do have some lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.

invalidbuffalo
LCD!

Post by invalidbuffalo »

This is probably not the best section to post your question, as it doesn't specifically concern the GX displays, and could you please resize your pictures so they fit within the forum border (1024 pixels wide)?

As to answer your questions, the first display could simply be out of any digital LED clock, and you could use separate LED's to indicate power or whatever. You could hardwire the clock power supply to the power jack on the back of the case or the system PSU.

For your second display, you might be able to get away with using an MX 4 series without the 5" PC bay insert and just mounting the module in the 3.5".