Need Help for chosing the right Display

Post by Poco »

Hello,

I'm very new at electronics and I need to develop a very simple application :

2 variants :

1st version :

1 Keyboard
1 small LCD Display

The user type a number (from 0.000 to 8000.000 therefore a 8 digits single line display would be sufficient) on the keyboard. The number is displayed on the LCD. The user disconnect the LCD from the Keyboard but the value needs to be still displayed (therefore memorized and battery powered).

2nd version :

Instead of the Keyboard, the LCD display is connected to a PC. Same use, the data needs to be kept on screen after being disconnected from the PC.

Can anyone please let me know which product(s) I can order from MATRIX that would be suitable for my needs.

Thanking you in anticipation

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clark »

Hi Poco,

For your basic application, it sounds like you require a small screen with the ability to input characters from a keypad and remember a few numbers. With the last two features in mind, I would recommend a display from our intelligent series.

The LK162-12 can interface to a keypad up to 12 buttons in size, and displays up to 32 total characters using 16 rows and two lines. The LK202-25 is also a good choice, offering up to a 25 button keypad and 40 total characters on two lines.

Each can be powered with 5V, so you should be able to find a dedicated power supply, like a battery, rather easily. They also offer a start up screen option, which allows you to save a screen to be displayed when the unit is powered up, like a number.

If you have any further questions regarding either of those units, or any others in our product line, please let me know.

Thanks,
~Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital

Poco
LCD?

Post by Poco »

Hi Troy,

Thank you for your reply.

So, you mean that using either LK162-12 or LK202-25 I can not only interface with a Keypad AND remember the Number?

As I understand I would have to save the Number to be displayed as a "Startup Screen". But as it says, a "startup screen" will only splash at startup? What about a persistant display of the startup screen?

What about the possibility to connect also to a PC (USB)?

Thank you Troy for your patience, but I am very new to electronics...

Poco

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clark »

Hi Poco,

No worries, you'll really only need to learn a little about electronics to use our screens.

Both the screens I mentioned will in fact remember the number entered with the start screen function and interface to a keypad. As long as power is supplied to the display, it will show a number, you'll only need to use that start screen function if power has to be removed.

I see you are looking for a USB connection to your PC, for that I'd recommend the LK202-25 with USB, something like the LK202-25-USB-FB would work well. For a keypad, you can use our 4x4 unit or your own passive style device.

Of course in either case you will need a host controller or computer to run the display. When keys are pressed the display will send them to the host which will then write them to the display. The host can also tell the display to save the characters as a start up screen if they need to be remembered.

If you have any further questions, just post them.

~Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital