Current requirements for 20x4 VFDs

Support for MOC/MOS/MOI/MOU/X-Board/MOP

Moderator: Mods

paramotor
LCD?

Current requirements for 20x4 VFDs

Post by paramotor »

I had 16x2 VFD display for my project that worked fine. I needed more space to display stuff so I replaced it with 20x4 VFD display. The way this new display behaves is it comes on displaying my info for about a second, then comes off. It is connected to MCU. MCU continues to work, but VFD doesnt come on anymore. If I reset the power, it does come on for a second, then immediately off. I suspect it draws more current. Does it sound like it is an issue of insufficient current for VFD? How much current does 20x4 actually draw? I have 1A 5V regulator.

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

Hello,

The 4x20 VFD can have a 550mA in rush power requirement. The current draw after is dependent on how many pixels are ON, so I would recommend a 350mA power supply or so... But Raquel will double check on that for you.
Henry J.
President
Matrix Orbital

Raquel
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Raquel »

Hello paramotor,

The power supply current for when all of the dots in the screen is lit is 350mA max (275mA typical). The in-rush current is anticipated to be twice as the normal current. So a power supply that can handle 700mA should be sufficient.
Raquel Malinis
Design and Development
Matrix Orbital

paramotor
LCD?

Post by paramotor »

thanks guys. i found out what the problem was. it was NOT a power supply. 20x4 parallel VFD (from M-O) is not exactly Toshiba compatible and would malfunction on some commands that 16x2 VFD (or any truly compatible LCD) would support fine.

Raquel
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Raquel »

Glad to hear that you've figured it out.

Best Regards,
Raquel Malinis
Design and Development
Matrix Orbital