Display controller problems?

Support for MOC/MOS/MOI/MOU/X-Board/MOP

Moderator: Mods

Jon609
LCD?

Display controller problems?

Post by Jon609 »

I bought a 4x40 LCD from here a while ago and i got it a few days ago. I pulled the LCD out and hooked it up to my comp. The test display was lookin a little funky, it wasn't the solid alternating bars, the bars were there but they were fading and generally not looking right. then i tried putting some text on it and all it did was dump some garbage. I'm absolutely positively sure i have it hooked up right, I triple checked the cable i made for it and i don't think i ruined it in anyway. I was wondering if i need to return it and get a new one?

-Jon

Raquel
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Raquel »

Hi Jon,

Can you please try asking the module for its module number? Send it command 254 / 55. Let's see if the module will respond, if it does, then your connections are indeed all okay. What module do you have, an LCD4041 or an LK404-55?

Please let me know how it turns out.
Raquel Malinis
Design and Development
Matrix Orbital

Jon609
LCD?

Post by Jon609 »

The model i bought is a MOP-AL404C-BYTY-25J-3IN

Beautiful display indeed but its not working at the moment, Ill try and send that command to it and see if it does anything.

Thanks!

-Jon

Tom
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Tom »

Jon,

If you are trying to control the parallel device, you can refer to the link below.

http://home.iae.nl/users/pouweha/lcd/lcd.shtml

Best Regards,

Jon609
LCD?

Post by Jon609 »

254/55 ??

I thought the 8-bit, 2-line, 5x7 char was 56? wasn't it??

In either case, i'm using LCDsmartie to control the LCD. I have a 2x16 that i have used in and out with LCDsmarite, PIC, basic stamp and have had no such problems.

I haven't tried to hook the 4x40 up to a PIC yet, i'm sure i could diagnose the problem properly.

Raquel
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Raquel »

Hi Jon,

I assumed that in your first post you were dealing with a MO serial display, this is why I asked you to try command 254 / 55. But then when you said that the part number is MOP-AL404C-BYTY-25J-3IN, I knew then that you are dealing with a parallel display, and that I asked Tom to help you out with a link about parallel displays.

Sorry for my incorrect assumption, you can not use command 254 / 55 at all with the parallel display.
Raquel Malinis
Design and Development
Matrix Orbital