Anyone use DeVaSys USB to I2C Interface?

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

JohnCox
LCD!

Anyone use DeVaSys USB to I2C Interface?

Post by JohnCox »

I found this $79 USB to I2C interface board on the web and was wondering if anyone has ever tried to use it with Matrix Orbital's LCDs.

Henry, if you have a few seconds, could you take a look at the specifications on their website to see if it looks viable? The features listed include "90Kbps I2C interface, onboard 16KB I2C eeprom, 5 pin connector for attaching external I2C hardware. "

Link: DeVaSys USB I2C-IO Interface

Link: More detailed image

Aniso
-=Beloved by all=-
-=Beloved by all=-

Post by Aniso »

Seems like it would work fine... Depends on if you can make it not bitch about ACKs and stuff. Maybe I didn't read the question - why USB to I2C?

JohnCox
LCD!

Post by JohnCox »

I need to hook up ten displays to a laptop, so I thought I2C would be the way to go.

flyguy
LCD?

Post by flyguy »

Just saw your post.

I have the Devasys USB I2C/IO currently hooked up on one of my XP machines talking to two MO LCD2041's and an OOPIO-R over I2C. So far everything thing seem to be working fine. All you need to do is add 1 to the HEX address of the LCD & off you go. The routines in the Devasys api work great. I am using BCB+ v5 with no issues.

Regards,

Jay :)

Pheonix
LCD Guru

Post by Pheonix »

I may be missing the point here, but with the new USBs, can't you hook upto 127 up? So just get a small USB Hub?

flyguy
LCD?

Post by flyguy »

With I2C I can connect as many LCDs on a single connection as allowed by the particular device(16-127) & some other devices all on a singe USB connection to the PC.

If I have read the USB doc correctly you can connect 100 LCD devices to a single USB host, which means you need HUBS. For my application, besides the cost of the 10 LCDS I would have to purchase and deal with USB Hubs that support at least 10 connections + what ever is necessary to connect to the pc AND interconnect the hubs. In addition to the hardware you would need the software/drivers/sdk to talk to the LCDS from your application, which I do not believe has been released yet.

JohnCox
LCD!

Post by JohnCox »

Im dusting off this old project of mine that requires ten(10) LK204-25s to be linked together. Is I2C the most economical way to go?

I haven't purchased the LCDs yet, so I could go the USB route.

It would also seem that I2C would be easier to implement in software, since only one connection would need to be managed.