question...and comment on your product

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

Thor
LCD!

Post by Thor »

one question (on the GLK12232-25)...how do you send the commands to the LCD via a terminal program? I downloaded a terminal program...typed in the ASCII code after connecting to it...but there doesn't seem to be any way to tell the unit the command is finished being typed out...(you know...like to clear the screen you type "254 88"...but then what do you type to get the LCD to execute it?)....the terminal program I downloaded is Simple Terminal Program (available here: http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0-10 ... 22.2047360) which seems like it should do the trick...

just a bit lost here...

but other than that the unit was a breeze to setup...had it working within about 20 minutes...gonna be working on getting the thing installed on my Lian-Li PC-70 this weekend...

Thor
LCD!

Post by Thor »

oh...a couple more questions...I have an image loaded on the LCD that I want to use as the Startup image (when I initially turn the unit on)...how do I accomplish this task?
(it says in the product description that it is capable of doing this)

I've only rebooted my computer once since I installed the LCD...and it screwed up the display royally...all sorts of garbage characters...I assume this has to do with the speed the serial port defaults to...is this set by windows or what? I have win2k...and I have both of my serial ports set to 115Kbps...(they were set at 9600 when I got the garbage characters)

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

Sorry about the delay... the forum is back up :smile:

When you send the display a command prefix "0xFE" or "254" the unit knows how many things it's expecting after. For example, if you send it the letter "X" to clear the screen, the command excecutes and then knows there is no other part to the command, so it ends. If you send it a bar graph command, the display knows it is expecting several other command parameters. Glad the unit is working out for you... we are expecting pictures when you are done :smile:

Part II:
The GLK12232-25 you have is not capable of having a start-up screen. Only it's little brother, the GLK12232-25-SM can have one at the moment.

Yes it does sound like you have some speed issues now. On the CD you got, under the download section is a program called speed, which you can set the speed of the display at anything you want. Simply place a jumper on pins 5 and 6 of the keypad, power up the display, take the jumper off, run speed and set the speed at 19.2K or what ever you want.

I hope this helps, let me know if there is anything else!
Henry J.
President
Matrix Orbital

Thor
LCD!

Post by Thor »

ok...I'm still lost on how to interact with the unit...I send the "254" command to clear the screen...nothing...just displays "254"
tried the following:
254 X
0xFE
0xFE X
X

all it does is display the text I type in...doesn't clear the screen or anything...

I resolved the speed issures by just setting it to it's default speed...works fine now...

don't worry...I'll post some pictures...

bcheese
LCD!

Post by bcheese »

On 2001-10-19 16:32, Thor wrote:
ok...I'm still lost on how to interact with the unit...I send the "254" command to clear the screen...nothing...just displays "254"
tried the following:
254 X
0xFE
0xFE X
X

all it does is display the text I type in...doesn't clear the screen or anything...

I resolved the speed issures by just setting it to it's default speed...works fine now...

don't worry...I'll post some pictures...
This may be right off the track, but when you say that you sent the "254" command, did it send the numbers (i.e. 2 then 5 then 4) or did it send a single character who ASCII value is 254.

If it sent them as the numbers, then the display wouldn't have recognised it as the command to say I'm telling you to do something.

Regards,
Brian.

Aniso
-=Beloved by all=-
-=Beloved by all=-

Post by Aniso »

Right.

254 equals 0xfe equals 0xFE equals feh equals FEh equals FEh equals FEH equals 11111110

The command prefix is a one byte command and it's value is 254 (AKA FE hex or 11111110 in binary (not that hex and decimal are not binary in this sense but...))

Hex is a short form way of describing binary numbers. Our 11111110 is split in half to become 1111 and 1110. These two halves are F and E in hex. Hence, they become FE together. FE is often represented as 0xFE which makes it clear that it is a hex number. Another less clear way to designate it as a hex number is to put an h or H after it (FEh or FEH or feh). The later is preferred in BASIC documentation (AFAIK) and the former is used in C language and others. Since BASIC is usually stupid, it is usually required to send any values over 127 (0x7F) with a CHR$() command. This command takes a decimal value as: CHR$(254). This command would be embedded in some line of code which is sending stuff out the serial port, but the exact syntax is beyond my recollection (Haven't used it for 20 years).

The zero symbol (0) - and, in fact, the mathematical concept of zero - was introduced to the western world by the Arabs...

bcheese
LCD!

Post by bcheese »

Aniso,

you are correct in what you say, however the point I was trying to put forward is that there is a difference between sending 0xFE 'X', and sending 0x32 0x35 0x34 'X'. the difference being that 4 characters/bytes have been sent to the display as apposed the 2 characters/bytes that the display is expecting.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: bcheese on 2001-10-22 21:28 ]</font>

Thor
LCD!

Post by Thor »

so what would I have to send using a simple terminal window? if you want to see what I'm using to send it download the program I linked in my original message...and use the defaults...(except set it to the right port and everything)...

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

The problem with using a terminal program is that if you send 0xFE the terminal program will not see this as one command but rather as 0,x,F,E... so sending anything but text to the lcd through hyperterminal will not be possible.
Henry J.
President
Matrix Orbital

Thor
LCD!

Post by Thor »

is there any program out there that will allow me to send commands...I don't really want to get into programming with my LCD yet...

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

ohh.. ummmm... hmmmm... I honestly don't know.
Henry J.
President
Matrix Orbital

resolve
LCD?

Post by resolve »

I'm not a windows user any more, but isn't it possible to generate extended chars up to 255 by doing right alt + num, ie alt + 254. This should generate a non-printing char and hopefully send 0x254 across the serial port (hyperterminal should be able to work without line buffering, I believe)

Cheers!

Aniso
-=Beloved by all=-
-=Beloved by all=-

Post by Aniso »

That certainly used to be the case (Telix, Procomm), but I have yet to find a way to do it in HyperTerminal. If anyone can confirm it to work, please let me know.

A "low tech" way might be to simply make binary files with a hex editor and send them out on the serial port. You can do this on the command line with something that looks (sort of) like "copy myfile.foo > Com1". You need to set up the port first with "mode". I have no idea, anymore, how to do this.

PatO
LCD Geek

Post by PatO »

I haven't tried this on a display connected to my computer, but give it a shot:
Open Notepad
While holding ALT, type 254
Copy & Paste the scrambled character into Hyperterminal....

Sounds like it might work...