A newbie question

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

blarson
LCD?

Post by blarson »

I am really wanting to get an LCD for my computer, but I had a couple questions first.

1. Can I add a couple buttons to the LCD4041 or LK404-55, so that they would look like the BLK202A? The purpose of this would be to scroll through the various information that is sent to the LCD.

2. I would like to have some LEDs below the LCD that would act as a VU (Show the volume coming out of the speakers)... Preferably this would be done through the same serial cable. Does this sound feasible?

Thanks a lot for any and all help!

-Brad Larson

Aniso
-=Beloved by all=-
-=Beloved by all=-

Post by Aniso »

Sure, you can add buttons to the LK404-55 (55 of them if you want).

As for the LEDs, I think that unit has just 1 (or none) outputs for that, so the VU is out. Might I suggest, though that since the display is as large as it is, that you use the display itself for the VU function. I have done this and it looks cool.
anis- or aniso- combining form [NL, fr. Gk, fr. anisos, fr. a- + isos equal]
: unequal <anisotropic>

PatO
LCD Geek

Post by PatO »

Why not?
This graphic of the 4041:
http://www.matrixorbital.com/manuals/lc ... 9Cable.jpg
Shows that the display only uses 3 (or 4) wires. Would you be able to use the remaining 6 wires for another signal? I don't have a spec sheet about 9-pin serial ports in front of me but I'd imagine there has got to be another pair of hots and grounds in there....

jodynicH
Case Guy
Case Guy

Post by jodynicH »

ground wires are identical in every way to other wires, just are grounded

linear
evil Dr. linear
evil Dr. linear

Post by linear »

You know, the LM3915 makes a wicked VU meter for just a couple bux. The circuit is on page two of the datasheet: http://www.national.com/ads-cgi/viewer. ... =sppig4100

linear
evil Dr. linear
evil Dr. linear

Post by linear »

Hey, sorry to reply to myself, but I just noticed your location blarson. Greets from Overland Park, dude. (That's on the east coast of Kansas for the rest of you peeps.)