LCD2041 Screen freeze with garbage

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

Radut
LCD?

LCD2041 Screen freeze with garbage

Post by Radut »

Dear All,

I have an LCD2041 and in the normal operating mode it is displaying only garbage regardless of what I do. That garbage is constant, it does not change and cannot be deleted. Please see the attached file. I can use the 2041 only in override mode. Can you please advise?

Thank you,
Radu
Attachments
WP_20170502_10_59_32_Pro.jpg
WP_20170502_10_59_32_Pro.jpg (4.16 MiB) Viewed 21029 times

Daniel Divino
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Re: LCD2041 Screen freeze with garbage

Post by Daniel Divino »

Hi Radut,

Welcome to the forums!

It looks like your display is communicating at a different Baud rate, and the difference in speed is causing unexpected characters to be drawn on screen.

I advise you to boot the display into manual override mode, and attempt to establish communication with the display. Once you can communicate, I suggest you set the baud rate to 19200 using the "Changing the Baud Rate" command (4.3 in the manual). Then remove the manual override jumper, reboot the display and attempt to communicate at 19200 baud rate.

Please let me know if this helps you out.

Cheers,
Daniel
Daniel Divino
Technical Support
Matrix Orbital

Radut
LCD?

Post by Radut »

Dear Daniel,

Thank you for your reply.
In the override mode I am able to communicate with the LCD. Please see in Step1.png the command and is Step2.png the result of executing the command with F9. After executing the command I powered off the device and removed the J0 jumper. I powered the LCD back on in normal mode and I saw the Step3.png on the display and regardless of what I send over via uProject.exe nothing changes. In normal mode I used the baud rate of 19200 which was set in the override mode. Do you know what could be happening?

Best regards,
Radu
Attachments
Step3.png
Step3.png (2.14 MiB) Viewed 21015 times
Step2.png
Step2.png (9.36 KiB) Viewed 21015 times
Step1.png
Step1.png (34.13 KiB) Viewed 21015 times

Daniel Divino
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Daniel Divino »

Hi Radut,

Thanks for your troubleshooting. I appreciate how you have provided images of each step you've taken.

I've reviewed the values you sent to the display in step 1. Your uProject formatting, command byte, and command prefix are perfect, but the "33" value you have sent to your display is actually a Hex Value. You will have to convert the hexadecimal value 33 to decimal prior to sending it to the display.
33 HEX =51 DEC.

Please try booting your display in manual override once again, and send the following decimal values via the Raw Data command:
/254//57//51/

Also, judging by the image for Step 3, you may want to set the contrast of your display as well. You can set and save the contrast using command 8.7 found in the user manual. Factory contrast settings can be set by sending /254//145//128/

Please give this a shot and let me know if it helps.

Cheers,
Daniel
Daniel Divino
Technical Support
Matrix Orbital

Radut
LCD?

Post by Radut »

Dear Daniel,

Thank you for your reply.
Sorry for my mistake, I did not pay attention to converting the hex value to dec.
I put the display in the override mode and sent the command as seen in Step1.png.
After that I rebooted to the standard operating mode and connected to the display as seen in Step2.png, the connection status is always good.
And after restarting in the standard operating mode the screen looked like Step3.png :( After I connected to it via uProject.exe as seen in Step2.png, I still was not able to clear the screen or send a text message to it. The LCD displays what is shown in Step3.png.

Best regards,
Radu
Attachments
Step3.png
Step3.png (1.09 MiB) Viewed 21007 times
Step2.png
Step2.png (31.44 KiB) Viewed 21007 times
Step1.png
Step1.png (24.52 KiB) Viewed 21007 times

Daniel Divino
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Daniel Divino »

Hi Radut,

Are you able to read any data from the display? For example, in the main tab there is a "Read Module Type" command button. Using that button should query a response from the display. When you use that button, does the display return any data?

Also under the main tab, there is a contrast and brightness slider. Does the display change when you adjust either of those sliders?

Cheers,
Daniel
Daniel Divino
Technical Support
Matrix Orbital

Radut
LCD?

Post by Radut »

Dear Daniel,

In the normal operating mode, the commands failed. Please see the "Module type.png" for the "Read Module Type" command and the "Contrast.png" for setting the contrast command. The display does not change the contrast.

Best regards,
Radu
Attachments
Module type.png
Module type.png (1.77 KiB) Viewed 20995 times
Contrast.png
Contrast.png (5.12 KiB) Viewed 20995 times

Daniel Divino
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Daniel Divino »

Hi Radut,

I have attached a file to this message. The .usf script file attached should reset the baud rate, contrast and brightness back to factory settings.

Please try uploading this script to your display. In order to upload the file, please do the following:
- Unzip the file. A .usf file should appear once the folder is unzipped
- Boot your display in manual override mode
- Open up Uproject
- Connect your display to uproject
- Go to the Uploader tab in Uproject
- Open the .usf file\
- Execute the script.

Once that is complete, you should be able to communicate to the display in normal operating mode.

Cheers,
Daniel
Attachments
LCD2041 stock settings.zip
(279 Bytes) Downloaded 1882 times
Daniel Divino
Technical Support
Matrix Orbital

Radut
LCD?

Post by Radut »

Dear Daniel,

Thank you for the script file.
In the normal operating mode I see now the logo, that was changed by me some time ago, and unfortunately the LCD still does not accept any commands.

Best regards,
Radu
Attachments
Logo.png
Logo.png (300.01 KiB) Viewed 20962 times

Daniel Divino
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Daniel Divino »

Hi Radut,

Thanks for running the script. It looks like there might be a data lock placed on the display that is preventing commands to be sent outside of manual override mode. I have attached another script that should reset the display settings just like last time. I have also added another command to the script that will remove any data locks that may have been placed on the display. I suggest you follow the same procedure provided above to upload the attached script to the display, and then test the unit's communication outside of manual override mode.

Cheers,
Daniel
Attachments
LCD2041 stock settings.zip
(307 Bytes) Downloaded 1676 times
Daniel Divino
Technical Support
Matrix Orbital

Radut
LCD?

Post by Radut »

Dear Daniel,

I ran the script but the behavior did not change.

Best regards,
Radu

Daniel Divino
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Daniel Divino »

Hi Radut,

It's unfortunate to hear that the script didn't resolve the issue. At this point, I am unsure at what may be causing your communication woes :(
There is still one more option we can try. We can try wiping the display eeprom, and resetting the display's memory entirely.

Doing so will wipe out any data stored in the eeprom, including any custom characters, your start screen, start up GPO settings, and customer data.

Attached is the LCD2041 .mem file. You will be able to upload this .mem file using the Uproject's memory upload feature. Please download this file and connect your display to Uproject. Then proceed to Uproject's uploader tab. On the left hand side, in the command tree, double click on Upload>memory. A new window will pop up allowing you to Browse and specify the .mem file you downloaded. Press ok, then execute the memory wipe by pressing the Green arrow located immediately beside the save button.

This should reset everything on the display back to factory settings, allowing for communication. If you still experience troubles communicating with the display after wiping and restoring it's memory, please contact support@matrixorbital.com and we can provide an RMA for you.

Cheers,
Daniel
Attachments
LCD2041 v5.7ee.zip
(351 Bytes) Downloaded 1308 times
Daniel Divino
Technical Support
Matrix Orbital

Radut
LCD?

Post by Radut »

Dear Daniel,

It worked! It is operating normally again. Thank you very much for your help.

Best regards,
Radu