i've got just one question

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

billy5
LCD?

Post by billy5 »

how hard would it be to move the serial port on the lcd screen to the side?

i want to make a small case that will hold an lcd screen but i want the port to mount on the side so the screen could lay flat on my desk. so how hard would it be to remove the current serial port and solder up some wires back on it so i have some room to play?

anyways if it isn't that hard i'll have to find out how to get some cash so i can buy one

thanks ahead for any help

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

Well... it all depends on how good you are with a soldering iron :smile: What unit were you thinking about? We some times have certain ones with no DB-9 connectors. Our units only use 3 or 4 wires from the 9 pin serial cable. RX, TX, ground and/or power.
Henry J.
President
Matrix Orbital

billy5
LCD?

Post by billy5 »

well the one i am looking at is the lcd4041. basically i just want to make it as thin as possible and have everything connect to the side.

i guess im weird and don't want mess with my box =D

anyways thanks for the info

billy5
LCD?

Post by billy5 »

also i just thought of this...if i power the lcd screen through the serial port i won't need to mess with the gpo or the power connector right?

im not too worried about soldering im going to have a friend do it :grin:

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

Well, if you get the LCD4041 you can remove all the connectors. it has been done before and it's possible (BTW that does void your warrantee...) Connecting the power through the serial port is a popular option, it reduces the need for another cable and connector. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask :smile:
Henry J.
President
Matrix Orbital