My LCD and custom serial cable

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

BlueDemon
LCD?

Post by BlueDemon »

My case is a Aopen HX-08, with quite a bit of internal mods, but still appearing fairly "regular" :smile:
Note the 6 additional case fans (120mm model at the front, 80mm under the HDs, 2*60mm near the CPU, and 2*80mm at the top)

On the outside it looks fairly plain, apart from the fan switches and the LCD of course.

To connect the LCD i bought a round serial cable, cut it to length, passed it through a hole in the case, and resoldered it back up. Not a job i would recommend to an impatient person (like myself) as it is quite fidgetty. Finishing touches are a double layer of thick heat shrink, giving it a sturdy and more "professional" look :smile:

Here you can see the cable coming out at the back. Fairly neat i'd say

The PC itself is an Ahtlon 1.4GHz 266FSB (with Dragon Orb 3 Cooler), Asus A7M266 mobo, 512mb DDR-RAM, GeForce2 Ultra 64mb, 100gig HD (RAID-0), couple of CD writers and a DVD drive.

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

Looking good!!!
Henry J.
President
Matrix Orbital

PatO
LCD Geek

Post by PatO »

Sweet case! Looks... cool! (In more than one way)

To add a little constructive critisism:
The 120 in the front doesn't look like it gets much air. I don't see any holes in the front of the case. If I may suggest, cut a matching hole in the front, insert one of these:
http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/product.php?view=1506
and slap a nice fan grill over the front of the whole thing!
Much more quiet, cool, and it good looking. Of course, you'll have a wind tunnel blowing things around inside, but whatcha gonna do?

jodynicH
Case Guy
Case Guy

Post by jodynicH »

Lookin nice, clean up the inside for even better looks!

Psychodaemon
LCD!

Post by Psychodaemon »

one good thing about motherboards with only one external serial port ist that the internal one is a good choice to use for the lcd display... one good thing to think about if planning to use serial lcd and need a new motherboard...