Rev 1.5 LCD2041 Baud Rate Issue

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

RGreenway
LCD?

Rev 1.5 LCD2041 Baud Rate Issue

Post by RGreenway »

So, I have a Rev 1.5 LCD2041 which had a bit of an accident. One of the baud rate jumper header pins, contacted the chassis of a case. Bummer that the +5V side was closest to the edge. Burned out a trace and the reverse voltage protection diode. Overall, A pretty easy fix. The issue now is that no matter what I try, I can't get the device to use any baud rate other than 1200 Baud. This isn't a monstrous issue. After all, it is an old display, and the use is more of a toy than as something serious (Monitor on a Hyper-V server box) Just a bit of an annoyance. Any hints as to what may have locked that? All the pulldown on the jumper lines measure ok, and the connection to the PIC part is alright. If the PIC part is bad, is there any chance that the .hex file to load the pic is available for this older product? I have the ability here to program the uC if it is possible.

Richard

Raquel
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Re: Rev 1.5 LCD2041 Baud Rate Issue

Post by Raquel »

Hello Richard,

Thank you for posting on the forum.

I am sorry to hear about your display mishap :(
The code defaults to using 1200 baud when it reads the port and does not quite make out the input levels.
If the pins used for baud selection got affected by the accident, it will then get stuck at this baud rate.
The .hex file will not help, as the baud rate setting is not read off from it, baud rate setting is read off the jumper configuration.

Let me know if you have more questions.
Raquel Malinis
Design and Development
Matrix Orbital

RGreenway
LCD?

Post by RGreenway »

Thanks Raquel:

Looking at the part through a FLIR thermal camera, the PIC part does appear to probably have some port damage. It is drawing some excess power compared to a functionally comparable pic part so probably has a port driver in latchup mode.

I was asking if the .hex was available, as I can program a new chip to replace the likely damaged one.

Raquel wrote:Hello Richard,

Thank you for posting on the forum.

I am sorry to hear about your display mishap :(
The code defaults to using 1200 baud when it reads the port and does not quite make out the input levels.
If the pins used for baud selection got affected by the accident, it will then get stuck at this baud rate.
The .hex file will not help, as the baud rate setting is not read off from it, baud rate setting is read off the jumper configuration.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clark »

Hi Richard,

My apologies for the delay, unfortunately, our code, even in hex format, is our intellectual property and we cannot provide it to the public. Essentially, our code is our meal-ticket, so we are very protective of it.

I understand the display is still useful, so if you have any questions regarding it or even a replacement, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,
Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital

RGreenway
LCD?

Post by RGreenway »

Totally understand. And no problem. It had been in an old file server and failed years ago. That server was finally rebuilt, and it would be a fun bit to get installed again. Serves no real purpose, and will work fine at 1200bps. If I replace it, I have a few color OLED boards I have made up for other projects I could adapt into the chassis and provide the information on.

Thanks again for the great product! Takes a licking and keeps on ticking, just a little slower in this case.

Richard

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clark »

Not a problem Richard,

All the best with that display, it sounds like it has a few more years in it, and keep an eye out for the return of our own monochrome, alphanumeric OLED displays in the future.

Cheers,
Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital