VFD lifespan

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

firehorse
LCD Geek

VFD lifespan

Post by firehorse »

Hi,
I have a vk202 and been wondering how long would the vfd last when running on the lowest brightness

Does having the vfd blink off for 1 second then on for 1 sec reduce the lifespan ?

I'm thinking it would be heating up then cooling down creating stress on the vfd reducing its lifespan ?

No ?

The VFD will run 3500hrs per year

[OLED would be nice though, (hint hint) I'll be the first to line up (if the OLEDS are as they say better contrast)]

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Re: VFD lifespan

Post by Clark »

Hi Adrian,

VFDs are one of the most robust technologies out there. I'll need to double check the MTBF figures in the morning, once I get the exact number I think you'll find this type of switching is unnecessary.

You're right about OLEDs, while they might not be as robust they will have a similar advertised lifespan, better contrast, and draw significantly less current.

In fact, we've actually run a 2x20 yellow and a 2x16 green OLED for over a year and have been quite impressed with their performance. Now that the bugs have been worked out, we've been waiting for interest to return for this great technology. So...how many do you want ;)

If you do have an OLED project in mind or need more info on the VFD, don't hesitate to send me an email with the details.

Thanks,
Troy
tclark@matrixorbital.ca
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Re: VFD lifespan

Post by Clark »

Hi Adrian,

My apologies for the delay on the numbers, MTBF for a VFD is listed at just over 1,000,000 hours, the lifetime curve for an OLED is listed at 100,000 hours. As a comparison, LCD half-life is typically 10,000 to 100,000 hours depending on the backlight colour.

Thanks,
Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital