can the LVK204-25 be powered up

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

reostat
LCD?

can the LVK204-25 be powered up

Post by reostat »

can my LVK be powered up, by simply feeding the 5V and the Gnd to the alternative power connector 1 and 4 pin respectively ?, for testing purpose to see if it's fried or not .
regards
reo

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clark »

Hi Reo,

The purpose of the alternate power connector is just that; to provide power only to the display. Please consult the manual for your specific display to determine the pinout of that connector, I believe you may find you'll connect 5V and Gnd to pins 4 and 3 respectively.

LK204-25 manuals can be found at http://www.matrixorbital.ca/manuals/LK_Series/LK204-25/.

Thanks,
Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital

reostat
LCD?

Post by reostat »

Clark wrote:Hi Reo,

The purpose of the alternate power connector is just that; to provide power only to the display. Please consult the manual for your specific display to determine the pinout of that connector, I believe you may find you'll connect 5V and Gnd to pins 4 and 3 respectively.

LK204-25 manuals can be found at http://www.matrixorbital.ca/manuals/LK_Series/LK204-25/.

Thanks,
Troy
yea it is true for the 4 and 3th connection if one uses the usb alternate connector , in my case i'm using the RS232 board . , without thinking i went and reversed the connection and tried it, got a :jawdrop: when a resistor fried and another :jawdrop: when i looked up the manual and the 4 and 3th was for the usb protocol . looked in the mirror and saw this :nono: . :o . Ah well back to square 1.
thank you all the same for the help.
regards
reo

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clark »

No worries Reo,

Sorry to hear you let a little smoke out of the board; we've tried to protect the unit as much as possible so hopefully you'll have only resistors to change. If you have any questions identifying parts on the unit or the pinouts, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,
Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital

reostat
LCD?

Post by reostat »

Clark wrote:No worries Reo,

Sorry to hear you let a little smoke out of the board; we've tried to protect the unit as much as possible so hopefully you'll have only resistors to change. If you have any questions identifying parts on the unit or the pinouts, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,
Troy
thank you Clark , i will replace and go back to square 1 . For practical purpose ,
when i replace that component, can a simple check to see if the back light works, i just plug in the 5V and a ground to the display connector to see if the back-light works , if it does then it's just a matter of proceeding to next steps ... Then again i did try it with the 5V on the Vdd and the other on the Gnd pin and did not light the display .... was tried with a regulated 5V 470Ma and the the other way by the floppy drive's 5V...
thanks
regards
reo
Attachments
LVK204-25 .my default component shown in red ,can you help identifying this part ?
LVK204-25 .my default component shown in red ,can you help identifying this part ?
IMG_00000019.jpg (402.77 KiB) Viewed 9789 times

reostat
LCD?

Post by reostat »

reostat wrote:
Clark wrote:No worries Reo,

Thanks,
Troy
thank you Clark , i will replace and go back to square 1 . For practical purpose ,
when i replace that component, can a simple check to see if the back light works, i just plug in the 5V and a ground to the display connector to see if the back-light works , if it does then it's just a matter of proceeding to next steps ... Then again i did try it with the 5V on the Vdd and the other on the Gnd pin and did not light the display .... was tried with a regulated 5V 470Ma and the the other way by the floppy drive's 5V...
thanks
regards
reo
Can anyone identify this component circled in red in photo, it has burned and needs replacing.
thank you
regards
reo

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clark »

Hi Reo,

I see you've done quite a number on that board. The large burnt component you have circled is a 100uF tantalum capacitor, with the white negative polarity mark at the top, the one to the right is a 10uF tantalum, it too may be burnt. You may also want to check on R52 and R53 at the bottom right, those are 0 ohm resistors used in the power line.

Once those repairs are made, please check the manual before powering again to confirm the correct connector and pinout (I believe you'll be connecting to the power/communication header using the pinout in white on the board, but please, please double check).

Thanks,
Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital

reostat
LCD?

Post by reostat »

I see you've done quite a number on that board. The large burnt component you have circled is a 100uF tantalum capacitor, with the white negative polarity mark at the top, the one to the right is a 10uF tantalum, it too may be burnt. You may also want to check on R52 and R53 at the bottom right, those are 0 ohm resistors used in the power line.

Once those repairs are made, please check the manual before powering again to confirm the correct connector and pinout (I believe you'll be connecting to the power/communication header using the pinout in white on the board, but please, please double check).

Thanks,
Troy
hi Troy
ok so i installed the burned tantalum and the 5V is making it through ,
but still same result as day 1, nothing is working, do i need a driver or something, uProject is installed COM indicating that the connection is established but the display is not giving any sign of life .i have tried straight pc to display rs232 connect , and tried also with the other scenario connect with power communication cable connection method, still nothing,what am i missing,
regards reo

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clark »

Hi Reo,

Unfortunately, by powering the unit incorrectly, it is difficult to say what else may have been damaged, but we can try a few things to narrow down the problem.

I understand the screen is not illuminating; it can draw a lot of power on start up which you may want to look into later, but first, please try to communicate to the daughter board.

As mentioned in your manual, the Power/Communication Cable is recommended for this product. If you don't have that cable, please carefully follow the pinouts provided in the manual; you'll probably connect power to the power/communication header and communication to the DB9.

You might consult the manual for expected current consumption to determine if the unit is powered correctly, and start the unit in manual override mode. Finally, in uProject, try to read the module type from the unit to determine if the daughter board is powered and communicating correctly, or if, perhaps, you'll require a new unit.

Thanks,
Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital

reostat
LCD?

Post by reostat »

Unfortunately, by powering the unit incorrectly, it is difficult to say what else may have been damaged, but we can try a few things to narrow down the problem.

I understand the screen is not illuminating; it can draw a lot of power on start up which you may want to look into later, but first, please try to communicate to the daughter board.

As mentioned in your manual, the Power/Communication Cable is recommended for this product. If you don't have that cable, please carefully follow the pinouts provided in the manual; you'll probably connect power to the power/communication header and communication to the DB9.

You might consult the manual for expected current consumption to determine if the unit is powered correctly, and start the unit in manual override mode. Finally, in uProject, try to read the module type from the unit to determine if the daughter board is powered and communicating correctly, or if, perhaps, you'll require a new unit.

Thanks,
Troy
Hi Troy
i have tried all the above mentioned a x number of time. Once connected to COM, Uproject indicator Module type, indicates '''' , Serial number:00 00, version number 00. Could you kindly point me to where i can get another module that has been quality 0k'ed beforehand and i will order another one .
regards
roland

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clark »

Hi Roland,

It sounds like communication to the board is timing out, meaning it is unsuccessful. All of our units are functionally tested before they ship, you can pick one up online at matrixorbital.com, or check out the distributor link near the top of the page to find a local source.

Thanks,
Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital

reostat
LCD?

Post by reostat »

Clark wrote:Hi Roland,

It sounds like communication to the board is timing out, meaning it is unsuccessful. All of our units are functionally tested before they ship, you can pick one up online at matrixorbital.com, or check out the distributor link near the top of the page to find a local source.

Thanks,
Troy
thank you for the reply .
regards
reo