Dead Display?

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

dave-lew99
LCD?

Dead Display?

Post by dave-lew99 »

I just dug out my old MO display, i think it's an LK202-24-USB-WB and it will only respond to brightness and contrast adjustments, nothing else happens and there is no display (just blank).

Initially the display was garbled until i tried to use LCD Smartie.

I also used my own custom app which was written for this display a number of years ago and it's the same story.

I realise it will be massively out of warrenty but can you give me any pointers as to what i can look at on the PCB? Hopefully it's just a dry joint or somthing.

Thanks

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clark »

Hi Dave,

Unfortunately, the ICs of our alphanumeric screens are almost always covered in epoxy, making repair difficult. You have already tested backlight and contrast, but I would recommend trying to read from the unit as well to ensure the board is fully functional; maybe the module number or a key press.

If communication to the board is successful but text can still not be displayed, it is likely that the screen alone is damaged. As I mentioned, repair will be difficult if not impossible, but you might consider purchasing a parallel screen to replace the display portion of the unit only.

Should you require any guidance in selecting a parallel screen or even a new intelligent unit, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,
Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital

dave-lew99
LCD?

Post by dave-lew99 »

Hi Troy

Thanks for the reply, i did some more testing and i get data back for keypad presses and LCDC was able to auto detect the kind of display - i'm unable to re-compile my custom app at the moment so i couldn't use that.

Looks like the controller is good and the display is broken - i checked the connector and re-soldered all the pins, beyond getting the scope out there's not much more i can do.

If it is the screen itself can you recommend a suitable screen and UK source? I can only find the Orient Display ones in the US/Canada at the moment.

Thanks

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clark »

Hi Dave,

The fact that you have communication to the board is good news, but unfortunately, it still looks like you'll be searching for a new screen.

In our catalogue, the part number you'll be looking for is a parallel display, MOP-AL202C; there are a number of different colour options. I can understand that due to shipping considerations you may want to purchase through a distributor rather than directly from our site, in which case you can find a link to all of our partners in the UK here.

Thanks,
Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital

wewewi666
LCD?

Post by wewewi666 »

Hello there!
Also just dug up my old MX610 unit;

Screen seems to be dead too; I'm havin signal; LCDC detects the board fine, and the keys answers as well.

Just no display at all =(

Is there any replacement part that would do?

Thanks for your time and consideration!

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clark »

Hello Wewewi,

Sorry to hear about your MX610; if I'm not mistaken that unit utilized a PLED display, which unfortunately, went end of life some time ago. For options, in all likelihood you will be limited to replacement, but there are many different ways to go.

For a similar unit, you might check out the other displays of the MX line, either the LK202-24-USB or the VK202-24-USB, which are on sale now.

For an upgrade, you might consider the more visually versatile GX series.

Finally, if you absolutely must have a PLED style screen, you'll have to sit tight while we continue to rigorously test a new generation of OLED screens.

Thanks,
Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital

wewewi666
LCD?

Post by wewewi666 »

Just to be sure I'm getting this right;

Those are screen and controller combos that I would need to re-assemble with my existing PC Bay Insert, right?
No need to buy anything else?

Does "the capability to connect up to a 6 by 4 matrix style keypad" means it would be compatible with the original keys?

I dont really need anything more than basic IP address / LAN speed display and the like, but as I am in for a kinda big upgrade, I'd like to see what the "more visually versatile" GX series can do;
The pdf and stuff on your site doesnt show/tell much.

Compared to the LK202-24, the LK202-25 is basically the same thing without fan headers, right? Wouldnt it make more sense to get one of these since the -24 line is already discontinuated?

Take care!

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clark »

Hi Wewewi,

You are correct, just remove the old screen from your bracket and pop a new 202-24-USB unit in; the controller PCB is shared among all screen types so it will function in the same way. If you do place an order for one of these displays, please include a comment stating "this is for an existing MX bracket" so we can add some extra hardware in case you loose some in the switch.

If you are looking at a GX, please check out the latest installation package to obtain a copy of the software that will run it: LCDStudio. The program is completely free and can be run with a virtual display to allow you to get an idea of what the unit can do. There is a GX section in the LCDStudio forums for more info on that program.

Finally, you could pick up a new 202-25-USB unit if you don't mind loosing the fan headers and all but one Dallas One-Wire connector. This series, along with the GX line, aims to replace the -24-USB displays, but the old units are still as sturdy as ever.

Thanks,
Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital

wewewi666
LCD?

Post by wewewi666 »

Ok it REALLY sucks!

I live in Quebec.

Shipping restrictions all over the place.

Went for the GX series first, (good for you!) ; wouldnt ship here.
Contacted your sales representative, hoping an exception could be made if I agreed the packaging and/or software would be english-only.

No can do.
He referred me to those so-called retailers, and suggested I order via All-American.
The thing is this company doesnt seem to have an operational orders system! Nor any of the other 2 partners in Canada.

This is all I found on their site; am I missing something?!?
http://www.allamerican.com/linecard/matrix_orbital

I have to actually CALL THEM, explain to the guy what I want exactly, then place my order and give my credit card number over the phone?!?
I tought we were in 2012 and that I was buying a piece of tech!
..Why would they break the law more than you, anyway? They got no balls for sure; they dont even have a sales system!!!

Oh, and BTW; LK series stuff (or anything you sell, I suppose) doesnt ship either.
You just dont and will never do business in Quebec at all, I take it.

Chinese companies manages to use Google Translate, but not you, even though youre in Canada and seem to be very well aware 'bout the laws.

I'm disapointed to say the least. :roll:

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

Hey, don't blame us for Quebec's language laws and do not ask us to break the law. We have limited resources and cannot spend time translating our manuals to French. So do not be mad at us, or disappointed, but complain to your provincial government for their dumb laws. The amount of time required by us to do all the work vs the return on investment is just not there. We do business in Quebec, but with larger OEM's who have to sign documents that state they are not reselling the units but using them in large assemblies and so on. Also, we are not the only company to do this, the reason the whole language laws came up at Matrix Orbital is when I was on the Future Shops website looking at Cisco equipment and stumbled on their exclusion policy, so even they have products that cannot be shipped to Quebec. We could just run the manual through google translate and spit out something resembling a manual, but I will not do that for two reasons. 1. It would be an unprofessional manual which is unacceptable to me and the companies high standards and 2. I believe these language laws are wrong and anti-Canadian and I will not dance around them.
Henry J.
President
Matrix Orbital