LK204-24 soldering jumpers

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

haplo888
LCD!

LK204-24 soldering jumpers

Post by haplo888 »

I have a MX422 that I'm looking to use for fan control. According to Section 2.1.2 of the LK204_24 manual "Soldering Jumper 1, and removing Jumper 2 will allow power to be supplied externally." So my display can start working before the OS loads. But looking at the pictures and my display I'm unclear what I need to do. These are not jumpers that I'm familar with.

Does Jumper 2 need to be soldered to be removed?

The picture of "Jumper 1" is a picture of a jumper like "Jumper 2" plus a hole. Am I suppose put solder on the hole or solder a connection from the hole to the Jumper 1?

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clark »

Hi Haplo,

The jumpers referenced by images 1 and 2 are 0 ohm resistors. You are correct, to power from the floppy connector and light the screen before the OS loads, heat and remove the resistor from location 2 near the top right of the board. As mentioned, the resistor at location 1 should be present from the factory.

Thanks,
~Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital

haplo888
LCD!

Post by haplo888 »

Clark wrote:Hi Haplo,

The jumpers referenced by images 1 and 2 are 0 ohm resistors. You are correct, to power from the floppy connector and light the screen before the OS loads, heat and remove the resistor from location 2 near the top right of the board. As mentioned, the resistor at location 1 should be present from the factory.

Thanks,
~Troy
Got ya, so I leave Jumper 1 as is and solder off Jumper 2.

Also, can you please confirm that the 1Amp limit is per fan connector and not for all 4. So I can connect 0.6A to each of the 4 fan connectors for a total of 2.4A?

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clark »

Indeed Haplo,

As for the fan connectors, you are correct, 1A per channel is available.

Please note that no current limiting resistor is used on these channels as most fans draw well below 1A. If you are using a large fan or chaining more than one together please ensure you do not draw more than 1A; the circuit will continue to provide current until it burns out.

Thanks,
~Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital

haplo888
LCD!

Post by haplo888 »

Great. And thanks for the very fast reply Troy.

I got the resistor off and the displays turns on and powers the fans with only floppy power connected. However the screen is garbled, please see attached.
Attachments
Screen
Screen
IMG_20111114_181434.jpg (322.59 KiB) Viewed 7245 times

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clark »

No worries Haplo,

It looks like your start screen is a little chaotic; once you are able to communicate to the device you can change it to something that makes a little more sense.

With power connected, your next step will be to connect the USB cable and install the drivers for your display. Once the drivers are successfully installed a virtual serial port will be created and you can use our uProject software, also located on the .ca site, to test communication and load a new startup screen.

~Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital

haplo888
LCD!

Post by haplo888 »

I got some demos to work in UProject so it looks like it's communicating.

Can you please resend my LCDC activation code to my email address on file?

Thanks,
Haplo

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clark »

Hi Haplo,

If you have already registered for a copy of LCDC I believe your email address will be in their database and you can submit a request for a lost key.

If you have not yet registered and can provide the serial number located on the back of your unit I may be able to locate the activation key from your original order. The serial number is in black ink on a clear sticker in the form ##M##-####, please send it to me in a PM.

Thanks,
~Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital